Tomahawks, self-defense / Sport throwing / food gathering

I got into Tomahawk throwing for self-defense last year. I’m just now able to hit my mark at about 15/20 paces my brother got me into it, he’s good enough where he can nail a rabbit or a squirrel at will.
Any other Tomahawk throwers out there? in the second photo I’m just learning to throw my Hawks for food gathering it’s not nearly as easy as it looks.

6 Likes

Very cool, SAK67 !

Sounds like a great hobby.

So, what’s the difference between a tomahawk and a small axe? Just different names, or…?

1 Like

@JohnB, just the size and weight of what you’re throwing, most any object can be thrown from knives, axes, hatchets, tomahawks, spikes, excetera excetera it just takes practice!

Thanks for the feedback.

How much does your tomahawk weigh?

1 Like

@JohnB, good question I don’t know how much it weighs, it’s the small size SOG if that helps, good for self-defense and taking rabbits.

Thanks, but what is SOG ?

1 Like

John it’s the brand name of the hawk SOG is a Cutlery Company the other is a axe by Cold Steel

1 Like

Thanks for the great pictures, SAK67.

1 Like

Hmm… Might be ok for hunting or just for fun. But as defense? Not sure I want to trow my weapon at (or to) a bad guy.

@mquinn55, I suppose you could try and catch or deflect a Tomahawk if you wanted to I’d really like to see that!
Hawks make a hell of a offense/defensive weapon if you know how to use one! you don’t just have to throw it at your opponent!

1 Like

I’ve been looking into getting a field craft tomahawk, do you have any suggestions for a not too pricey, but quality axe?

1 Like

@USMCMahon, I would recommend any of the Columbia River Knife & Tool Hawks, they’re all reasonably priced.
They’re all good quality, carbon steel for the $$

3 Likes

Absolutely for self defense, when the zombies begin roaming & you’re low on ammo, you just run through the hoards swinging and slashing! ( that’s how I justified buying one)

3 Likes

I throw my sog fasthawk fair after practice, my boy was a natural from the 1st throw!

2 Likes

@LonewolfMcQuade, I completely sucked the first 3 or 4 months, keep practicing you’ll be a pro in no time. You’re right you never know when you’re going to run out of ammo, a good Hawk is indispensable you can build a shelter, clean a fish, start a fire and defend yourself, those are just a few of the uses, A very versatile tool!

3 Likes

Awesome point. I’m off to anyplace except Dickless Sportingoods now.

2 Likes

@mquinn55, scared of zombies are you? going back to your earlier comment, even if you don’t stick the hawk in your target a hawk with sufficient weight will knock you unconscious, I didn’t expect anybody to assume that a novice would have the ability to score a leathal hit, with practice the tomahawk becomes deadly!

2 Likes

I have a couple. The smaller one I have thrown for play but if I needed to fight that would be the last thing I would do (throw away my weapon).

The polled one is very handy and is in the living room right now beside the wood stove. It would serve as an at-hand back-up.

Haversack%20and%20cutlery

5 Likes

@Stumpkiller, nice-looking hawks both of your hawks look like they are throwing Hawks, I could be wrong but that’s what they look like to me, I like that big camp knife I’m glad to hear you use them. I agree the last thing in the world I would do is throw away a weapon.

1 Like

@Stumpkiller, the hawk on the right as you look at the photograph is maple? From left to right Hickory then Maple? I really like that big Camp knife it’s sweet!