Both have hickory shafts. The one on the right has a going over with a propane torch and then a dark stain.
The 10" knife is a copy of one found at Fort Ticonderoga from 1759 +/- (the metal bit, anyway) forged from a leaf spring, VERY handy and much used. More so than a tomahawk. It has made dozens of ground blinds for bow and muzzleloading hunts.
The handle is a deer crown wrapped in tarred marline and then rubbed with asphaltine (asphalt dissolved in turpenine). Makes a GREAT grip (used on Naval cutlasses and ship’s rigging long ago).