Top 5 Favorite Mil-Surp Bolt Action Rifles

1. Krag Jorgenson (only in .30-40 Krag)
  2. Springfield 1917 (P17/Eddystone)
  3. Springfield 1903
  4. Mosin Nagant M91/30
  5. Lee Enfield No.4 Mk 1
2 Likes

My opinion based on what I have shot or owned. Iā€™m sure the Swiss K31 would be in there, but Iā€™ve never had the pleasure.

1. Springfield M1903A1
  2. Mauser K98
  3. Enfield No4 MK1
  4. Mosin Nagant
  5. Steyr M95
3 Likes

I like the mausers, fixed up an old 1916 Spanish in 7mm, shoots like a dream, my next project is a Colombian mauser chambered in .30-06 Springfield. Iā€™ve yet to shoot any enfield, or caranos, but they seem interesting.

2 Likes

this is the mauser project that i picked up from a gun show for $99.99 plus state tax. I ended up taking it completely apart, cleaning it and finding out the barrel had a REALLY deep pit. This caused me to rebarrel the action on my own with a used barrel off of Numrich. I sent the rifle to verify it was safe to fire from a local gunsmith, which gave me the green light. I found this little rifle loves Sellier and Bellot Soft points in 7mm Mauser. Its nice for me because they are the cheapest at around $20 a box before shipping and handling.

4 Likes

Thatā€™s how I got started in all this mess. A Yugo Mauser with a bad barrel.

3 Likes

its nice how Brownells offers an action wrench for any Mauser Action for a few bucks and all you need is a replacement barrel and some headspace gauges. xD

3 Likes

I canā€™t for the life of me remember the place l got the action wrench, but boy oh boy was that barrel on that action!

2 Likes

Nothing a little WD-40 and a few taps of a dead blow hammer cant handle, or a piece of pipe as an extension on the wrench. I am a little upset I didnā€™t invest in the brass shims like they recommended, but I got a fine shooter out of it.

3 Likes

Yeah I used a cheater bar for that one. Can you use aluminum? Or will that build up on the barrel?

2 Likes

Iā€™m not quite sure. Unfortunate for me I used blocks of wood, and the wood slipped and it marred the action in my viceā€¦ Lesson learned, the hard way.

3 Likes

I have used oak block with pine resin in the past. That worked in a pinch for me.

3 Likes
  1. Swedish M96 (Love this thing)
  2. Yugo M48 (Accurate and just cool)
  3. Cheq VZ24 (Just cool shooting a piece of history)
  4. Enfield #5 JC (Kicks like a mule)
  5. Arisaka Type 99 (Never shot but will this summer)
3 Likes

I realized I never posted my top 5ā€¦shame on me! :expressionless: There are way too many I like so Iā€™ll do the list as it sits today. Unfortunately there are a few on this list I have yet to have the pleasure of firing so Iā€™m chomping at the bit to find someone local who has any of these that we can take out for some plinking. :smiley:

1. M1903 Springfield
  2. Mosin Nagant (all variants)
  3. 98k Karabiner
  4. Arisaka Type 99
  5. Mannlicher M1895
5 Likes

M1903a3 Springfield: Nuttin better. My Ole man won the CAN-AM 1000 yard open for 3 straight years with a one of these Springfields.

M1917Enfield : Built like a tank, Iver shot some darn hot rounds though this.

Ishapore 2A1 Rifle: Always wanted to own one. Shot a bunch of others.

Lee-Enfiled SMLE: Rocking a 10 rd box. Best club made.

Mosin Nagant PU: Cool looker, could not hit the barn with it. I would not make a good commie

5 Likes

The Ishy is a superb rifle. I scored one at a LGS and restored it back to its original parkerized condition (Indians loved their black enamel spray paint, damn safety wouldnā€™t move). Shoots great. If you ever come across one get it.

3 Likes