My personal beliefs for a “combat handgun” has multiple facets:(In no particular order)
- Minimum 9mm, but larger is better
- Minimum 15 rounds of capacity, but more is always better
- magazine fed (for those that think a Mateba Unica is a combat pistol)
- Striker > Hammer, but not a definitive rule out
- 5" to 6" Barrel
- Ability to mount a weapon light
- Ability to mount a MRDS with cowitness iron sights
- Ability to mount a laser (because three optics is always superior to two)
- NO MANUAL SAFETY LEVER/SWITCH (trigger/grip safety is ok-ish)
That reduces my personal picks to just a handful of pistols
- Glock G41 MOS - Fits every mark, and a +4 mag extension gives 17+1
- FNH FNX-45 Tactical - If this pistol was JUST a decocker and no safety, it would be #1
- Sig P226 series (any cal) - This gun is a tank and reliable as all hell. I carried the .40cal on duty for over a decade.
- Glock G34/G35 MOS - Why would I go to combat with a smaller Glock if these are available?
Personally, having owned one, I think the 5.7 is one of the most over rated pistol on the market. Especially as a combat pistol. Great in concept but piss poor in the application. I’m tempted to buy another, but only because I enjoyed owning it. It would never be my “go to” pistol. Not even with 30 round magazines.