Tornado yesterday

I was able to get some drone footage showing the damage we received from the small tornado that ripped through here last night. We took a lot of damage that’s going to take weeks to clean up. We got VERY lucky and took no real structural
damage.

6 Likes

Yup, you got lucky on the house. still no fun cleaning up trees and brush after one. coulda been a lot worse.

8 Likes

Missed the farm next door too. You can even see all the grass flattened out.

8 Likes

wow, we had a very windy day yesterday and I’m grateful not that windy, was it loud and did you see a funnel or did you have to hide out?

As I recall you need to bury that flag as it touched the ground, though it sure seems no one does flag etiquette anymore, I see so many tattered and torn its sad

6 Likes

We didn’t hear a thing. Our storm shelter is the below ground recording studio. It has 7" thick walls all sound proofed and a 3" thick solid wood door that weighs 600 pounds. I had to peek outside just to see if it was safe. The power was knocked out so the security system was also knocked out. It’s on a UPS, but we messed up and the NVR was on a non backed up outlet. Otherwise we could have watched the whole thing. We learned what needs to be corrected in case it happens again, well, more like when it happens again.

We still don’t have power and are running on a generator that burns through about 15 gallons a day. On the plus side, we got approved for our solar array which will generate 2500-3000KwH per month generating 100% of our electrical needs. Now, just to get it installed.

6 Likes

Did it take the neighbor’s truck out?

6 Likes

Not that I know of.

5 Likes

Details on that please, I love that idea

4 Likes

It should be 54 panels of 400 watts each, each panel has its own battery backup storage. We should have 12 hours of backup power and will be generating 100%+ of our electrical needs.

6 Likes

Where do you get it financed/installed from?

5 Likes

Sunlight Financial, my cousin owns Arch Solar so I’m getting really good equipment at a great price. If you’re considering adding solar, I can’t express this enough, don’t wait. Right now there’s a 26% tax break on the entire price. Next year that drops to 22%, and the year after that it drops to zero. The cost of power comes out to be around 7 cents per kWh. Not sure what power costs by you, but here it’s 14.5 cents per kWh. Any over generation the power company will buy, but they only pay 4 cents per kWh.

5 Likes
4 Likes

Part of the joy of leaving SFL as that’s what sitting through a hurricane looks like, not envious of you, no warning prep time with a tornado :grimacing:

2 Likes

We had very little warning. We knew a strong storm was coming and we had a tornado watch, but we get those from time to time. Our phones then blew up with a tornado warning and five minutes later that hit. We hunkered down in the recording studio and waited it out. In all my years, this was the closest I’ve ever been to a tornado. I’m good now, no need to get closer. I’m just thankful it didn’t touch down on our property. The rest of the area around us is open farm fields for about half a mile.

2 Likes