Trailboss vs black powder

Just had a thought pop into my head this morning. For my trapdoor I have enough rounds loaded for a couple of seasons. My son loaded them with trail boss powder. I have almost a pound of black powder that was in a safe I picked up. Thinking back to the 1873 original loads, they were black powder to my knowledge. Instead of using trail boss, which I prefer because it won’t be so dirty, can the black powder be used in that 45-70? I would guess 70 grains is the original spec for the loads. I’m not looking to experiment. Just wast to see what you folks know about it.

7 Likes

I have not used BP in a 45-70 metallic cartridge, but have in a 45LC. My dad does MC 45-70 BP at his club. Should be plenty of data out there. My bet is you will get a lot more velocity/ kick then the trail boss.
Following along, keep us posted.

6 Likes

My muzzleloaders are a flintlock rifle and a flintlock smoothbore fowler. I use black powder only for proper ignition. Black powder is dirty, but a bit of soapy water on a patch removes any fouling easily. It’s not as horrible as most folks think.

6 Likes

So no need for percussion caps for you?

6 Likes

Nope. I also have two percussion rifles, one shotgun and a revolver . . . but the flintlocks just need blackpowder and flint. Though now that Tom Fuller has stopped knapping and gunflints may get scarce; though I understand he had Joe Dawson as an apprentice who took over. They used to be $0.60 each (30 shots +/-, 60 shots if you’re lucky) but currently $2.50 each!

Happily I have a goodly stockpile of flints as well. :wink: I’m not worried about zombies or the apocalypse . . . but Liberals in power over firearms legislation scare me. And when Tom announced he was bowing out I stocked up.

4 Likes

I didn’t realize flint rifles had these low limits, admittedly I’ve not done anything with flint since my zippo days, hell, seems like you could adapt those in some method :thinking:

4 Likes

[quote=“safcrkr, post:1, topic:20823, full:true”]
For my trapdoor I have enough rounds loaded for a couple of seasons.
My son loaded them with trail boss powder.
Thinking back to the 1873 original loads, they were black powder to my knowledge.
Instead of using trail boss, which I prefer because it won’t be so dirty, can the black powder be used in that 45-70?
I would guess 70 grains is the original spec for the loads. [/quote]

Trail Boss is not a great choice for optimal performance if that is what you are looking for. For the Trapdoor, a 13gr charge with a 405gr bullet will only get ya about 1,000fps while a 31gr charge of H4198 will get you 1,400fps with less chamber pressures. IMR-4198 is similar to H4198 in this regard.

https://www.hodgdonreloading.com/reloading-data-center?rdc=true&type=54

Yes, black powder can be used, which 70gr was the original charge.

6 Likes

A few things to think about:

1. You’ll be using a lot more black powder so each load will cost more and you’ll go through that pound of black powder quick.

2. Black powder substitutes are not hit as hard with the shortages as smokeless.

3. Black powder is dirtier. This doesn’t matter much with a single shot Trapdoor. The chamber and barrel are one long hole to clean. You don’t have as many places for soot to get into as if you had a revolver, tube magazine or anything else that is multishot.

4. Black powder bullets have a different lube you should be using.

4 Likes

Oh yeah. There 250 years of good ideas to improve on flints. But for some of us keeping it to the Revolutionary War era is the point.

I kid you not - when I started shooting blackpowder there was a firm that would face the frizzen with depleted Uranium for terrific sparkling. But then - you breathe in much Uranium shavings it won’t matter that it’s no longer radioactive. It’s as poisonous a heavy metal as arsenic.

3 Likes

:headache:

Sooooo, no need for the A10 I guess :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

Sorry for being negligent about this thread. I’ve had to work too much lately (Dammit). Thanks everyone for the responses. I don’t plan to use the black powder unless I have to, but I was just curious about how it would work. Thanks again.

4 Likes