Trying my hand at cerakote

Have a couple slide refinishing projects, never was 100% happy with my 10mm, and a brother was over yesterday sanding and blasting his Para slide.
Have a couple parkerized practice slides I picked up for 39$, something was out of spec maybe the site cuts. Anyway, practice slide Titanium over park, same as I’m going to do with the long slide.
Brother is either going with Sniper Gray or Tungsten on the double stack.

Done practicing next session for real.

13 Likes

Looks like you have it figured out!

8 Likes

Nice job Al

9 Likes

I want to give it a try

8 Likes

Very cool! That’s one thing I would love to learn to do. But any imperfections would drive me nuts and Lord knows how many times I’d be blasting it back off lol

11 Likes

the 10mm is on it’s 4th or 5th blast. 2 try’s at the alumahyde II, (but didn’t try it over parkerizing). Great results with the alumahyde II on the aluminum frame. Then after acetone soaking/ scrubbing that off , didn’t like the first two parkerizing attempts, so blasted that off, mixed a fresh batch of manganese phosphate, pretty happy with the 3rd park now, ready for cerakote.
My overall strategy is to address all the things I didn’t like about my last 4 builds before building any more.

10 Likes

I would love go see some videos of the process. I think they will be helpful to many.

6 Likes

3-5 ", 23 lbs.
Type H Cerakote
Yes, a little dry. Afraid at first to really cut loose with the trigger, worried about runs but over parkerizing it sticks well. I’ll hit it a little harder next time.
I have one more practice slide, probably mix enough for both and really get happy with the pattern before I shoot the long slide.

Once I have it down…

8 Likes

Glutton for punishment.
Mixed up about 20 ml, poured it in the hopper, started to spray, probably would have worked better if I had of tightened up the sprayer after I cleaned it last. Got most of the slide coated before it started dripping out the bottom and made a mess.
Back to the acetone, washed all the Cerakote off, back to the sink soap and water, heat gun dry, new batch of Titanium, spray it again with a tight gun, and now we wait…

10 Likes

The reflective properties of the metal Cerakote over Park gives an interesting look, In your hand looks smooth matt, but the photos look like hammerite, don’t do it justice.
Anyway, not blasting this off in the near future!

10 Likes

If that’s Titanium Gray, then the first two guns that I ever Cerakoted were done in the same color.

10 Likes

Your work looks nice.
Used H-170 Titanium. Think I might try the Sniper Gray on the Para. Or Tungsten. Brother wants to park and oil, where’s the fun in that.
Have Mat Black, Sniper Gray, Tungsten, and half a bottle of Titanium.

10 Likes

That looks awesome @albroswift!!!
Your Sigs look great too @6un5_4r3_N347

10 Likes

Brother came over and we worked on his Para slide today, talked him into Carbon black Cerakote over Parkerizing. Might as well practice on his slide. Hard to get him to let me take a photo of the finished product, looks like a $2000 slide on a $300 frame. (I think the plan is to do the frame now!)

10 Likes

much envy, nice job!

10 Likes

Still just practicing. Maybe some digital camo next. That would look good on a long slide glock.
My kimber original ultra carry 45 is showing it’s age after 25 or 30 years on the hip, could really use a gloss black slide over mat frame.

11 Likes

get busy :wink:

9 Likes

That baby needs love.

10 Likes

Been a faithful sidearm for a long time. Solid shooter even when dirty, wet, covered in BB lint.
Very accurate, but those little aluminum 45’s aren’t for everyone recoil wise.
Only problem with the re-finish I would feel naked without it during the process.

10 Likes

I have an original Ultra Carry in SS. It has many hours and days on my hip. It’s a good thing SS doesn’t wear as bad.

10 Likes