Two-way radios off-grid short-range communication

In a complete grid down no power situation I’m thinking two-way radios are going to come in mighty handy. MotorolaT465, 35-mile range depending on the terrain and location, dual power, rechargeable NiMH micro USB charging or 2AA batteries. Earbuds with PTT microphone so the zombies can’t hear you coming :rofl:

10 Likes

Yeah I am looking for something like that for hunting. Where we hunt has no cell signal so radios would be nice.

5 Likes

Definitely awesome hunting application.

4 Likes

Great items to have! I’ve got to pick up some new ones.

4 Likes

pretty optimistic to think a 2 watt radio can reach 35 miles - closer to 2 miles as the only way you could achieve 35 miles is by either a repeater or top of a mountain.Since most radios, the maximum being line of sight, so with perfect conditions on the prairies - 12 miles.
Normal rule of thumb is a mile per watt for most vhf/uhf radio ranges.

8 Likes

The quoted 35-mile is calculated under Optimum conditions with an unobstructed line of sight :raising_hand_man:

4 Likes

not according to radio frequency radiations and science, I wonder if they forget the decimal point.
Horizon is basically 12 miles and the radio wave is 72 inches or smaller (vhf) and FRS is even tighter at about 24 inches so terrain features really affect your ground cover and range.

3 Likes

Alrighty then :rofl:

3 Likes

Technically I think they test optimum conditions on the moon to get those numbers.
Most of the handhelds I’ve had will get 1-2 miles if you’re lucky.

4 Likes

I tried sending messages with two cans and some string, but I got too much spam.
spam
:face_with_hand_over_mouth:

7 Likes

@srdiver @Comanchero45
I’m well aware of the capabilities of a handheld two-way radio just stating the information on the box :wink:

4 Likes

I know…not really directed at you per se, just kind of a general sarcastic laugh at the way they rate the range of these things…I mean, I know there’s not really much truth (if any) in advertising…but come on, there should be some limit to the exaggeration :wink:

1 Like

I have no experience with hand helds and know nothing about them. I’ve seen them for sale at Academy and Bass Pro advertised for 35 or so miles and ranging in price from $29 to $99. I always thought they’d be good to have in a hunting situation or just playing around with friends and family. Didn’t realize they realistically provide only 1 to 2 miles of range.

So as long as I accept their realistically short range, which would be a set of decent ones to get? The ones SAK mentions in his original post?

3 Likes

Ones I like:

Midland XT511 Base Camp radio (4xAA/rechargeable/crank; weather/GMRS/AM/FM)

Midland GXT1000VP4 GMRS handheld two-way radios

Midland AVP7 rechargeable battery packs X 2

6 Likes

@Equin, here’s a couple of reviews for the Motorola t465
https://www.ammoland.com/2015/09/motorola-talkabout-t465-frsgmrs-two-way-radio-review/#axzz5rFuxm6XN

4 Likes

Thanks, Prepper10 and SAK

2 Likes

You’re welcome glad to help👍
2 Likes

Need to extend the range of a handheld, just find a tall building.
Plenty of those usually around, even if it’s just a two story farm house,
Or a tall tree.
Just a thought.

2 Likes

So, get high before you get on the radio. Got it!

4 Likes