Usps

Thoughts about the usps?

I sorta think if it was a private business it would have closed years ago without the govt help but I’m open to discussing

9 Likes

They do decent here, Most times. FedX is the one that truly sucks here. they are horrible and i won’t buy from anyone that uses them.

8 Likes

customer service varies - they don’t have that going for them most places. I have to go to the hardware store that has a private business that allows them to do USPS in store to get that.

I guess its my thought about taxes and guberment… would competition make them better if someone else did postage? does the federal crime for stealing mail matter? I have a lock on my mailbox for that reason and others but what if some smaller businesses delivered mail every other day and were nice about it - just dreaming maybe. Maybe there’s some history buffs that can talk about why they think its needed or why guberment got involved - pony express or stealing mail used to be a bigger thing, so did stage coaches…

8 Likes

Poorly run, but kind of a lifeline for some up here. Our local delivery is pretty good but I have lived in places where it sucked. Seems to be a matter of where you live, if I get a PO box in town it’s about $70 for 6 months if I go one town over its $35 go figure.

7 Likes

We get delivery and pick up at our home because we’re rural, and based on that interaction with the Jeep, it all depends on the person driving. Our “regular” route driver sucks. There’s no telling when he’ll show up, if at all. In talking to him it’s clear that he hates his job. When he has sub’s driving the route delivery is much better. The folks at the PO are great.

Considering the amount of mail that USPS moves they do an excellent job IMO.

We’re one of those folks that Joe mentioned, and they’re a lifeline. They deliver food, and all sorts of stuff. For us it’s a 12 mile drive just to get to the first town that has anything for business, so I’d rather just order online and wait for USPS or UPS to deliver it. UPS probably has the best delivery for us everything considered. They might not get here until after dark, but if they say it’ll be delivered it will be delivered. Lately FedEx has been good but in the past they sucked. It was all due to the driver. At one point someones kid was the driver and despite excellent weather he’d give weather as the excuse as to why he couldn’'t deliver what was on the truck. They have a new driver and he’s really good. DHL isn’t used very often, but when they are they’ve been good as well.

8 Likes

Like many organizations, the USPS suffers from poor management, morale, and work conditions in some cases. Not the only reason, but certainly not the least, is the presence of unions. They attract workers who want a job where they don’t have to excel to get raises and it is difficult to get fired. Those who start out wanting to do an honest day’s work frequently will get tired of doing more work than everyone else. They either leave or stop working so hard. Either way, productivity declines.
Modern unions, especially public service unions like PO and teacher’s unions, are a poorly run job program for people who frequently could not hold a steady job elsewhere. Unions have their place in history in forcing better work environments, but I believe their time has passed.

8 Likes

I just view it as another reason to adopt a new system, all manufactured bs working towards that end :grampa: :tinfoil:

6 Likes

Amen

7 Likes

Private sector business definitely could do it better than government if run correctly. Probably @ a much lower cost with a higher efficiency

7 Likes

I would like to see UPS expand and take it over. Fed-Ex is all contracted out, you buy a route and they set you up, never know what kind of flunkie will show up with them.

7 Likes

I like the post office and really the letter price is good considering all the off the wall places you could mail it. Our service is better since the butthead that didn’t give a crap went ahead and retired.

7 Likes

It really is a matter of the people who you deal with, this morning our mail person had to come up the driveway and leave a big ass package inside our porch in some serious snow. I never knew it was there until my wife took the dog out, our old one would have sat in her truck on the road and blown her horn, not that I would have heard that either.

8 Likes

Might leave cookies and milk for that one , he’s like Santa!

7 Likes

What does Payless Shoes and the USPS have in common?
100,000 pairs of loafers in every color.

My brother lives near the big Post Office in his town. The mailman in his neighborhood just walk his area from that one.
So he gets all the drunks and F ups who can’t drive.
It’s a nightly thing on his street to re-deliver the mail the drunks screwed up.
Our last neighborhood the mailman [drunk] hit 3 parked cars and left in handcuffs.
Any big organization has their problems but remember why they call it “going postal”

8 Likes

Not sure about the “good people” argument, I’m not against customer service in any company, good customer service makes me loyal. But I’ve not had that experience often with the usps.

Also don’t forget why stamps are cheap, government subsidies probably, not sure a private business could do it without that crutch. But the guberment shouldn’t imho

8 Likes

Our UPS guy and the US Postal drivers are great. I hate dealing with Fed Ex. Private business would do better than the post office for sure.

7 Likes