Vacuum sealer for Mylar bags? Help!

Anybody know of a good vacuum sealer that works on plain flat Mylar bags? What temperature does it require? I saw the Sinbo, which some people online claim works, but I can’t find any real specs. Getting frustrated.

I do have oxygen absorbers.

6 Likes

WTF

Anybody seen @Equin lately

6 Likes

I would avoid Black & Decker. I had one of their food sealers a few years ago and it worked ok, but not that great.

6 Likes

:rofl:

But, you got the wrong man. Unless she got him too! :grimacing:

7 Likes

Too?

@mquinn55 is alive and well. I have no idea about @Equin. He’s not mine.

I’m prepping FOOD.

7 Likes

Still alive and kicking!

8 Likes

I’ll try this one. It has a retractable nozzle so you can use smooth bags, and has adjustable timing on the heating element. Says it works with Mylar and is semi reasonably priced.

I’ll report back once I try it out.

8 Likes

Got it today. It works Okay, but not perfectly. It is the only home sealer in this price range that has a retractable nozzle. The retractable nozzle part is a great feature and works well. The time for sealing can be adjusted between 2-9 seconds. The seal is supposed to be 4mm wide. I didn’t measure it, but it seems narrow to me. I sealed about 15 Mylar bags at the maximum time. 3 failed. 1 failed to seal; I could easily pull it apart. The other two failed because there was a kink in the bag - probably operator error. For clear plastic bags, it worked perfectly at 5 seconds.

I used my iron to reinforce the seal and make it wider after the initial seal. That seems to have done the job to my satisfaction. With that and oxygen absorbers, I can now store rice and pasta for years.

Overall I’m happy with the purchase. I can now use any kind of bag for sealing, or reseal commercial bags. You can vacuum or not. The two functions are separate.

5 Likes