Valor Commander Rebuild

I’m getting ready to start on my next 1911 project. This one will be to rebuild my Dan Wesson Valor Commander in 9mm (it’s .45 ACP now). I had the slide milled for a DeltaPoint Pro RDS and have decided my 1911s will all be iron sights (my M&Ps will be my dot guns).

After I give it some thought, I may try to sell the original slide and barrel to offset some cost.

My first step will be to tri-top the slide. I like that look. Does anyone have any “watch outs” for tri-topping that I should take into account?

13 Likes

Reference off the top of the slide, rather than the bottom since the slide top is actually tapering toward the front.

Also make sure to leave enough material at the locking lugs.

How are you planning on fixturing the slide in your mill?

7 Likes

:+1: Very good choice for an RDS. You won’t be disappointed.

8 Likes

I plan to mount my Yavapai slide jig in my rotating vise so that I can indicate off the top and get it square.

8 Likes

It is a good RDS. I shot it some and liked it.

But my M&Ps both have Holosun RDSs and I sold the DeltaPoint Pro with my SIG Legion XFIVE.

7 Likes

Excellent choice of jig/fixture

6 Likes

First step was to tri-top the slide.

8 Likes

Well done!!!

5 Likes

Who’s slide?

5 Likes

RemSport

6 Likes

:+1: Looks great!

5 Likes

And the grasping grooves:

6 Likes

Very nice and look very aggressive.

5 Likes

Dovetails!

6 Likes

Excellent work!

4 Likes

What is your procedure for the perfect dovetail?
Great photos, by the way. Only thing I see wrong is your shop is too clean.

5 Likes

wow, impressive!

3 Likes

Nothing too special. I cut out most of the material with a ¼” mill and then finish with the dovetail cutter in one pass.

5 Likes

Wait… you mean to tell me you don’t actually catch doves and use their tails as stencils?

4 Likes

I have a double ended cutter that I’ve never used. Think 60/65 deg or something like that.
So the cutter is the exact width of the dovetail, cut both sides and done? Just got to hit the depth right.

5 Likes