Varmint Rifle suggestions

Hey guys I’ve been thinking about purchasing a new rifle for hunting coyotes and wild boar. Any suggestions on what rifle I should buy? Thanks in advance :slight_smile:

1 Like

Ar15 is my preference. Whats your price range?

2 Likes

Ak if you’re shooting less then 400 yds.

1 Like

I have an AR but I’m making it tactical and I might have take some stuff off because of regulations in my area to use it for hunting, and guns are my drug so I’m always looking to buy another one :joy:. I’m hoping for somewhere around $500 but I can go over if it’s a really good gun.

1 Like

I’ve thought about about AKs. I wouldn’t be shooting anywhere near 400 yards. most of my hunting places are wooded and if it is a field not any farther than a hundred yards max.

1 Like

Mossberg Predator would be a good choice…

2 Likes

Ruger Ranch rifle in 5.56 or 300 Blackout would be also…

3 Likes

Just get A .300 blackout upper then and keep the 5.56 “tactical”.

1 Like

If you really want to you can get a hold of a DDI for cheep or an sks.

1 Like

Where are you finding DDI stuff or an SKS for cheap? I havnt seen either in a long time.

I found a DDI under 500 used. Sold before I could afford it. And Classic has Yugos for $450-550

1 Like

After living and hunting in Hawaii (big island)where they have a huge ferral hog problem.I recommend whatever you can afford with sum stopping power! Shotgun with sabo or slug works! Wild boars?

2 Likes

Savage M12 LRP in .260 Rem and a beautiful scope. Use a load with the Norma 156 gr Oryx bullet for the hogs. A nice ELD-X Hornady for the coyotes as far as you care to try.

2 Likes

I recently built a Ruger 204 in the AR platform . . . I haven’t had a chance to take it out and shoot yet, but I’m expecting to either use it or maybe even my Grendel for varmints.

1 Like

Might be worth looking at HK416. In 5.56 ammo
Any of the AR platforms would definitely do the job . I travelled to Poland using a Howa 1500 bolt action in .223 accurate but follow up shots slow!

1 Like

I like the .223 but I don’t think I’d pester wild boar with it.

1 Like

Pig facts,wild boars… just boars if it’s a boar it would be wild(not domestic)
If its a domestic that escaped or the offspring of said escapee it’s a ferral hog
but not a boar.If I’m not mistaken boars would be a Europe only thing.
And then there is hog wild but that is whole other thing!

I know a dude who says as long as it’s a clean hit a 223 will do the trick. Of course this dude carries a 32acp so… ya know.

Some 77 gr. Black hills will put a boar down.

1 Like

I will say I’ve never tried. I was amazed that a S&B Soft Point 55gr went cleanly through a length of 1/4" steel “U” beam I had hung as a rimfire target at 100 yards.

3 Likes