Verify black powder guns (York, PA)

I have two older percussion smoothbores. One was a 1841 brunswick pattern smoothbore the other is dated 1850s-1870s. I’m looking for leads to find a shop that can verify it is or is not safe to shoot. So far the shops I’ve talked to do not want to go near it.

3 Likes

Find someone with an x-ray machine.

2 Likes

Where are you located @phill92? That will aid us in seeing what we can find.

2 Likes

I’m located near York, PA.

2 Likes

Why is everyone afraid.
It’s easy enough to determine if there’s an old load in it.
Just use a ramrod, or substitute to see if there’s an old load still in place.
Without a percussion cap in place, there’s little risk.
A good bore light will tell if the bore is pitted or not.
Or just run a patch up and down the bore to measure the rust.

1 Like

It’s not to verify if there’s a load in place, both are empty. This is to check if they are safe to operate or are designated wall hangers.

3 Likes

it’s not that they are scared - they do not want the liability should it grenade.
Or they do not want a pissed off customer when they proof it (which entails loading a very heavy charge) and trying to destroy it. That and some before and after measurement.

3 Likes

Sounds like this will be a do it yerself project.
So, don’t be a wimp.
Tie them guns down to a bench, and pull the triggers with a long string.
Er, make that a real, real long string.
Probably best to hide behind something substantial while you’re at it.
Best of luck.
Or maybe it would be better to hang them up for display.

3 Likes

I would just try a minimum load…while wearing this. :wink:
suit

4 Likes

They are historical pieces I would also take a similar approach and have a professional look it over. Forget all this fucking macho man talk. Firearm preservation and personal safety are more important than being macho.

3 Likes

Asked a friend from PA and they didn’t know a shop who would touch it. Perhaps any of our members from PA could help? Can you change the topic title to include your location?

3 Likes