Vietnam Era M1 Helmet

Anyone remember wearing one of these? I’m too young for steel pots. I’ve always liked this one. The front says “Germany Bound”. I hope he made it.

On a related note, I unpacked quite a few and put them on display in the garage.

11 Likes

Wow! Awesome collection!!!

5 Likes

That’s some collection you’ve got there! Very cool.

5 Likes

Thanks gentlemen!

4 Likes

An excellent collection.
Better to collect than to have had to wear them.
Glad to see none of them had a bullet hole.
I’ve only ever had two military helmets.
A WW2 German, a battle field pickup from an uncle and a WW2 US Civilian Home Guard.
After the war ended, the local surplus stores were full of them.
Both helmets were passed down to younger cousins.

4 Likes

Started my military time with a steel pot, heavy pain in the neck, literally! Biggest downside to changing to the Kevlar helmet was no more steel pot baths in the field.

4 Likes

I wore the steel pot when I went through basic and AIT in the late 80s. What was weird was arriving at jump school right afterward and being issued the kevlar.

To be honest, I really didn’t like the kevlar all that much. Gave me massive headaches no matter what. It wasn’t until we were issued the MICH that I could tolerate the “k-pot” for any extended periods of time.

4 Likes

'83 we were still using the steel pot in Airborne. Ranger batt was a pleasant break from any of that heavy headgear.

5 Likes

Dude! That’s awesome!

3 Likes

Anyone use them past 1985? I think that’s when the phase out was supposed to be complete.

1 Like

That’s an incredible collection my friend, nicely done! Great post too!

2 Likes

Thanks @CliffD!

2 Likes

I realized I forgot to post a picture of the graffiti. Good thing I got a styrofoam head this morning!

6 Likes

Better than getting no head at all, I guess…:confused:

4 Likes

Or a real head.

3 Likes

1987 in jump school at Benning.

3 Likes

That’s awesome!

1 Like