Walking Tall....

I’m thinking it be nice to have some type of walking stick when I walk the dog. Something to ward off rabid animals (4 legged or 2). Looking for suggestions from you folks here.
Thanks, Russ.

9 Likes

10 Likes

You might try checking Lowes, Home Depot, etc, in the section for wood used for making trim. They tend to have 6’ long sections of 1.25" (and smaller) round stock, that may be suitable for a decent walking staff. Cut to the length you want, sand, then finish and seal it with something that will protect it from weather and changes in humidity.

A staff’s length would allow pushing a critter away and holding it at a greater distance, and would allow the end away from you to build up some speed in a swing.

7 Likes

Good idea, thanks.

8 Likes

Louisville Slugger comes to mind but not really a walking stick :grampa:

8 Likes

We keep a few hickory staffs around that we cut each year and peel the bark off and let them dry.

7 Likes

Might I suggest any long stick that shoots bullets out one end? That should pretty much cover all the bases.

On a serious note: I have an old hickory axe handle that I carry in the woods sometimes. I find the shorter length to be more suitable for weilding and carrying given it’s light weight.

7 Likes

What kind of dog?

6 Likes

With a Mitt and ball for cover.
“I was on the way to play softball for the Church”

6 Likes

Just sick the dog on em.

5 Likes

I would solicit some advice from @Tactical_Reviews. He has a pretty cool walking cane.

7 Likes

I have a walking cane I got from wal mart many years ago, I’ve had to use it a few times. I pray I never need another cane in my lifetime, but know I will. until then that thing can stay in the closet. just carry a handgun or teach the dog to kill. that damn cane will come soon enough.

7 Likes

The dog is good to go and I always have a firearm on. But for simple pest or rabid raccoons, I’m not in an area I could just drawn & fire Unless my life was truly in danger.

9 Likes

8 Likes

Must be a lot of Brits in your area.
:thinking:

6 Likes

During hunting season if I see a coon, possum or diller close enough I will punt them. now ya might break a toe puntin an armydiller with tennis shoes on.

3 Likes

I assume that you are referring to the 1/2 empty English muffin shelf? I always thought that the Northern Plains were settled by Scandinavians? I can definitely see some Viking traits in @Tactical_Reviews. Just sayin’. :wink:

6 Likes

I’ve been known to play possum soccer myself . If you kick them under the chin you will break thier neck.

5 Likes

You can do it in style with this bad boyimage

5 Likes

https://www.yodoys.com/hardwood-design-pewter-walking-35-silver-inch--cane--stick--toscano-and-handle-bavarian

5 Likes