Weapon mounted lights, how do you use them?

So… you tryin to outdo @Sonny.lol but least ya bumped a decent thread. I keep a light on my shotgun and Ar’s that keep loaded. have one on the M-16 that is loaded. but other than that I use one on my AR’s that I hunt with. use them to walk in the dark to and from stand. it’s a 400 yard walk in the dark. beats having to keep up with a flashlight.

6 Likes

Im doing @Sonny s job the right way.

5 Likes

Hi! To find out if Epstein killed himself, say @Sonny Bring me my gun.

3 Likes

@Sonny bite me

5 Likes

I run lights on a lot of my Defense weapons… just saying…

6 Likes

Which post was this a response too? We kind of got sidetracked by sonny.

3 Likes

Weapon lights… hahhaha
I do find it funny though… I want max lums for combat… but I really like a low setting just in case I need to navigate. My old Surefire weapon light had this… 2 small LED lights… that I could block one off if need be.

4 Likes

How weapon light wiring is dealt with makes a big difference in how the unit will preform in different scenarios.
Are your lights tucked in tight? Do you have loose wires that can snag on things?
All stuff to think about… :thinking:

5 Likes

I mainly use mine for the 400 yard walk to and from the hunting stand in the dark.

5 Likes

5 Likes

5 Likes

Now for a defensive weapon i put the tape switch on the other side to activate it quickly , on hunting weapons i do not want it on that side cause i carry the rifle on a sling against my chest and do not want to turn switch off and on with the weight against me.

5 Likes

How far we’ve come. In the 80s I set up an 870 with a 2 D cell light. Then after retiring that 12ga I went without for years w/o a WML until I retired my AR carbine and setup a bullpup shotgun. That’s not entirely true. My retired carbine had a IR light and wore a PVS-14. My idea was to hit the breakers and turn on the IR and I would own the hallway while whoever stumbled around in the dark. But with the advent of really bright lights I shelved that idea. Easier to explain bright light in court rather than turning everything off so that they can’t find their way out.

Back to the bullpup shotgun. That had a simple tight beam light with a reverse clicky switch. What’s that? Most lights are forward clicky. Click or slight pressure on the tailswitch to turn it on. One clicks the tailswitch to turn the light on with a reverse clicky, but that’s where the similarity stops. Give the tailswitch slight pressure and it turns off. Remove the finger from the switch and it comes on. But that 12ga is semi-retired now that I built my 300BLK 10" handgun. My idea is to not use the red MRD sight 'cause to do that I would have to untuck the handgun from under my arm and either shoulder or cheek it to use the sight. But that option still exists. That’s what I’m trying to get away from; extending the firearm “out” where it can be grabbed. So I have a Truglo TruPoint light/laser combo on it. That way I can tuck it under my arm and it’s so short that my left hand is out near the muzzle. If anyone grabs it they can’t lever it out of my hands and they’ll be missing the use of whatever hand they use. Oh, and if you have a red MRD sight don’t get a red laser. Get green instead. That way you just align the green dot to the sighted in red dot. If they’re both red which is which? So far I like it and it does all that I need it to do. I have much more powerful handheld lights. My WML is for final target verification right before I stroke the trigger. I tried the laser and I can shoot accurately with it tucked in far beyond any justifiable HD range w/o it being a time of war.

Handheld lights still have a use. I would get very upset if someone in my home used a WML to see what the noise was in my home. That would mean a weapon was being pointed at me. I would be irate. But a handheld is just right for that w/o the sounds of a break in. Another use, I have a 5k+ lumen “beercan” light (It pays to be a flashlight nerd) that I would lay on the floor of the safe room pointing down the hallway. I DID try it to make sure it would do what I want. Yup, it’s painful to look at, and it forms a “light screen” that no one can see beyond. Any shots down the hall would be wild. Anyone coming down the hall would be a hurting unit in more ways than one. My first action would be to call the cops for assistance and just wait behind the light. I have no desire to clear my own house by myself.

I like the Truglo unit so much that I bought a 2nd one for the semi-retired shotgun.

5 Likes

That’s what we have on ours.

Not only that if it is a Cop you shine, it could be jail time.

I like that concept, a lot. Hmm hidden Floods shining on metal mirrors so when they try shoot the lights out they just put holes in the metal mirrors…

5 Likes

Floodlights wouldn’t be bright enough, not enough lumens. But really bright flashlights are available. Or were, let me check. LEDs will far outperform screw in bulbs. Why? Because the nerds designing these lights drive the LEDs far beyond their design limits. Don’t use them there all the time and you’ll get the normal 100K hours out of them. But overdrive them all the time and the life may be shortened to 50k hours. I don’t expect a confrontation to be that long or accrue that many hours in my lifetime.

This is the Q8 5k light that I was referring to but it’s years old now, there may be something better (I try to keep my flashlight nerd in check and haven’t kept up):
https://www.amazon.com/Flashlight-Upgraded-Professional-Searchlight-Batteries/dp/B07MSHD717

I didn’t think of that mirror idea, but I have a LOT of extremely bright lights. Really one extremely bright light is all that’s needed and battery powered means it’s not tied to line power. Mine gets laid on the floor and I’m behind decent cover. I’m fairly safe. 5k lumens directed forward is brighter than you can possibly imagine. Don’t overthink it is my advice. Would a number of lights adding up to 5k work? I suspect it would. My one light (the Q8) is also a flood type beam and not a spot type beam. I did try it with another flood type light included since the 5k light will start to dim to keep from destroying itself from heat. Yeah, that worked too.

Of course a charger is required for the cells. Roughly $50 in 2019 $. Unused they lose roughly 3% of their charge per year. But you’ll use the light. You’ll like it alot.

How long can it run? I lit a range clubhouse during a power outage for a meeting for over an hour at suitable lighting, reflected off of the ceiling and had well over 1/2 a charge remaining with my Q8. It did dim down after a time from the heat produced from the current flowing through the head. Others brought in camping lanterns after that time but they were just sorry performers. As I wrote, I’m a flashlight nerd. My lights are NOT what everyone can find.

5 Likes

You may be right. The link was sold out. I found this one though. 11000 Lumens on sale today.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B099WWTW33/ref=psdcmw_2445457011_t3_B07MSHD717

5 Likes

I knew the tech’ would march on. That’s a good price. Esp’ with cells. One thing you need to know though is how fast it will heat up. Mine isn’t that bright and it heats up and starts to ramp down to protect itself in minutes. It’s just something to consider, you don’t want to melt a carpet. But it doesn’t need to be used at full power all the time. I almost never use full power with my Q8. Full power is for special occasions. Yeah, I’d drop the hammer on one.

The reason these lights can exist are due to the Li-Ion cells. They have a huge storage capacity. More to be aware of, they can be very dangerous if used improperly. If they are damaged they get thrown away. If one is charged ALL get charged. They can turn into a bomb so I’m very serious about these warnings. Do a 'net search for Li-Ion cell safety for full info. Please, don’t go into it blind.

Sofirn makes good stuff. The cells get shipped with 1/2 a charge so expect that. The light won’t perform fully at 1/2 charge. After you get it in hand and after fully charging the cells let me know how you like it.

Just for kicks, if you’re interested in flashlights go to youtube and do a search there for “giggle flashlight”. I don’t know if they’re still made but they throw incredibly far. I told you I was a flashlight nerd. Whenever I bring it out and hand it to someone I always get a giggle or similar response. BTW, that’s not me in the video that you’ll find.

I had to check to see if it was still there. It is. It doubt that it’s suited for our use but I’ll try it after I fully charge the cells. It’s such a massive light that I have a sling on mine.

5 Likes

Gee… and I thought I was the only sneaky bastard to do the refective light scenario. LOL
Nothing is fool proof unless dealing with total fools…
I was installing security lights decades ago, and the electrician was installing the security lights on the corners. :expressionless::roll_eyes:
Anyone can defeat them there. Center wall, duel units with motion sensors are better. Harder to walk up and unscrew the lights. Better yet, get the new LED units. LOL

6 Likes

Lighting has come a LONG way, thank goodness…
Using automotive off road LED lighting is a good idea too… even the Chinese junk can be heavily damaged and still work.
Cheap too!
They will run a long time off a 12 VT car battery… so if the power is out, you still have lighting. :wink:
Never know what will kill power. Weather, civil unrest, bad guys… LOL

6 Likes

Those Cloud Defensive weapon lights will run till the batteries are dead… I like that.

5 Likes