Weapon mounted lights, how do you use them?

Ridgewalker, I checked Giggles to see if it would work. In short, no. The beam is far too tight and there just isn’t enough raw light. The light it does put out is handled excellently (hence the huge mirror and lens) and that’s what gives it it’s throw. The bigger the reflector the farter (generally) the throw.

5 Likes

Grabbed 2 for our kits for Christmas. The wife is big on lights. I’ll play with them some. In general I like mirrors, very useful things…

I’ll look at the Giggles’ units too.

5 Likes

Did you watch the video on Giggles? It has it’s place, like looking for nazi bombers during the blitz (never do that unless the blitz is on!) and I bought one just for shits and giggles. But frankly it’s so huge and the beam so tight that I pretty much never use it. FWIW, if I haven’t said so yet, here it is. You’re going to want to sling it. Seriously. My everyday light is a Convoy L6 with a sling to free my hands up, and the wife likes a single cell Convoy C8 or an Eagle Eye X6. We live rurally and every night we use at least one of the rechargeable lights even if it’s just as a nightlight set to moonlight brightness in case of a power outage. FWIW, single cell lights are inexpensive and pretty much fool proof. There are no multiple cells to charge simultaneously to make sure they are matching, they fit the hand better and will still reach out to 100 yards or more. But they won’t produce the wall of light effect. They still aren’t pleasant to look at though shone directly into the eyes. I had one on a HD shotgun not long ago. My EDC carry pack has 2 of them, and I always have a Emisar D4 clipped onto my pocket, extremely small but with huge output. It gets hot in 12 seconds on full blast. It’s also no longer made (pretty sure). As I wrote, I haven’t been keeping up. I’m waiting for the Li-Ion cells that won’t ignite if they are abused then I’ll spend lotsa $ for a mess of them. Right now I have plenty of lights.

Story re: my Goggles. It’s a story of my incompetence. The lights I have out and ready also have fully charged cells. Makes sense right? Giggles uses 8 cells at roughly $10 each. It’s been so long since I used it that the cells had gone dead. That’s a huge no-no. I tried to charge them and they wouldn’t charge and were acting funky. So they’re candidates for recycling. I have spares out in the beer refrigerator correctly stored with a 1/2 charge. So I had to buy replacements for near $90. Ouch! So now I loosen the tail cap to break the circuit. I still don’t know how the cells discharged. I’m surprised they didn’t turn into a bomb.

Giggles can be run with just one of the cell carriers full (4 cells), but the other needs to be in place. But runtime will suffer. Just thought you should know.

6 Likes

Thanks for the heads up. We have many lights in the house, kits and vehicles. Enough that battery management is a PITA. None as powerful as the Cofirn Q8s claim to be. I can’t identify a pressing need for the Giggles. I saw they have multiple bodies. Like you I am hoping for improvements in battery tech.

We have several types even red and green ones for night walks and hunting. For hands free we have several headlamps. Some are R,G,W, too. We have been using headlamps for years. We will eventually get helmets with mounts. Again waiting on the Tech to improve and drive the prices down. We have illuminators, cameras and NV but it’s not suitable for helmets. I can see the eye shine of critters and the heat signature of poachers’ vehicles and bodies pretty far out, and if I turn up the illuminators to max it drives the poachers off, so I know they have it too.

3 Likes

Maybe a way to test for 11k lumens… That output will require current and current makes heat in the head. My 5k model ramped down in 2m 50s to the first ramp down to protect itself. If it’s temp controlled yours should ramp down in 1/2 the time. That’s if my thinking is correct. At that time it was definitely distinctly very warm, but my IR therm’ was out in the shop and that’s the best I can do right now.

I’m betting the designer of the 11k model did the same great job she did on the 5k model. She’s an American if it’s the same designer (Toykeeper on the budget light forum, and she’s a very good designer). FWIW, they design very good lights over there, reasonably priced with excellent performance and they have group buys. My BLF Q8 and Giggles were both designed over there, and other lights that I have were also designed there. None have failed me in years. Their specs are good.

Have you looked into a charger yet or do you have one? I don’t need an answer. For single cell lights having the cell(s) used in it isn’t important that they have the same history. But for multiple cell lights it’s hugely important. It could be a disaster to have 3 fully charged cells and one not so charged. LI-Ion cells would want to equalize that instantly with disastrous results (think bomb). Of course protected cells help to mitigate that. I would go to the Budget Light Forum and research chargers for the latest and greatest. They won’t steer you wrong.

5 Likes

Thanks for the tips. These come with the charger in the unit I think. I will know more when they get here on Thursday.

5 Likes

Trust me on this, if you value your cells, your home and your life you want a good charger. A cheap charger can potentially turn your cells into incendiary bombs and it’ll be inside your home, right? You don’t even want to breathe the smoke and NEVER allow them to charge, even with a good charger, when you’re not home. That’s the price we pay for performance on that scale.

I can suggest, but I can’t drive home the danger of the cells that allow the magic to happen.

I strongly suggest that you do a 'net search for safe use of Li-Ion cells before they arrive. The BLF has a long thread regarding safety and it’s worth a read. They are definitely not toys or the primary cells that you’re familiar with. Without that information it would be like supplying someone with no knowledge powder, and a press and telling them to make ammo. I prefer not to be responsible for any potential disaster. I think I’ve suggested enough, now it’s not on me if anything happens.

OMG! That’s why I never suggest anything more than single cell lights to Li-Ion noobs! What have I done? But I did my best to warn you. No it’s not immediate like a stick of dynamite. It’ll happen over time as the crystals in the cell grow, puncture the polymer film and short the cell out. When/if it happens it won’t be scheduled. I strongly suggest you play it safe with something so dangerous and stay high end. You have no idea. But the disasters can be found on YouTube. No flashlight nerd plays games or the odds with these cells. We just don’t.

5 Likes

Yeah… they are definitely not toys.
I stick with what I know… factory high end flashlights and I use their chargers.

5 Likes

Some good info. Need a light for the 10mm, wish list:
Slim
Long periods “light off” storage performance
Handle 10mm snap
One thing not covered extensively in this thread is the on / off switch.
Ambi? Light or frame mounted?

6 Likes

I only want a light mounted on off, momentary switch. On a pistol at least.
Only weapon light I can 100% recommend at the moment is the Surefire. Thousands of rounds sent over the top of all of mine with zero issues. Years and years of 123 Surefire batteries stored in them.
I am waiting for the new Cloud Defensive weapon light to come out for pistols. It will be shorter that the Surefire.

6 Likes

Here is a couple on amazon

5 Likes

I have one handgun mounted light/laser and it wears the switch on the light itself (Streamlight LTR-4 G)

The guns I spoke of above also use the light mounted switch. But if they were long guns and my hand wasn’t near the light switch I’d use the pad switch.

All of the lights have a pivoting lever and have the option of being on continuously or momentary on. All have the option of light only, laser only, or both simultaneously. They’re all switched to both light and laser on simultaneously at this time.

6 Likes

OK, Surefire X300U now on one of my G-24 longslide 40’s. Shot this one for many years USPSA Limited. Dependable lead deployment system gets BRIGHT!

6 Likes

I do run that list myself. Love it

5 Likes