What am I making?

Hello all,
Was working on some stuff. And decided to post a pic of work in progress with a question to my followers.

So… what am i making?

2 Likes

You should make that decision before you start :rofl::rofl::rofl:

3 Likes

I showed the picture to my 3 year old grandson and said what is this person making? He said “a mess Poppa”. :rofl:

4 Likes

Scope mounts

3 Likes

world’s smallest guillotines? …i got no idea. If I had to guess, looks like you were making some kind of iron sights?

2 Likes

To me, they look like they started out as wire lugs for in a electrical panel, I don’t have a clue.

3 Likes

WHAT IS THIS??? THE "KEEP AN A$$#OLE IN SUSPENCE "THREAD?:joy:

4 Likes

Work in progress. Hand filing from this point on. And lots of it.

They are the nearly impossible to find Winchester 1895 Russian Musket charger guides. They guide the same stripper clip (charger) loaded with 5 rounds of 7.62x54R that is used to load the Mosin Nagant rifles.

Every so often people find my Winchester 1895 restoration thread on gunboards where i showed making a few sets for people, and they ask if i could make more sets.

So here i am making them.

This is what they will look like.

And here is where they go on the rifle.

7 Likes

Damn youre talented!!!

5 Likes

You are way too kind, sir.
Just keeping my hands busy. And my mini mill.

5 Likes

Yeah, they look awesome, I want one and don’t think I’d ever need it :grin:

4 Likes

I got extremely lucky to find a set back when i was restoring my sporterized 1895. They were in Finland.

Lots of people would buy these rifles back in the day and sporterize them. One of the first things to go were the guides. They would just toss them. Then there are some muskets that simply had them removed, etc.

More pics of the ones i made before on my rifle

5 Likes

Wow!

4 Likes

THAT RIFLE IS SEX. THAT IS ALL.

4 Likes

Starting to shape the heads.

I hacksaw the corner off and then file flat. This is just material removal, no need to be precise.

Then i start going after the round. Wish i had the shop with a belt sander. But oh well, gives me something to do while watching shows.

By the way, this has been filed and rough sanded to 220.

Do you know why it is so shiny? Reason i am asking is that it is an old trick.

3 Likes

Wet sanding? Or steel wool?

A few passes with a carding brush.

Also, if you have never tried it, using a carding brush on a snadblasted surface creates a very interesting/pleasant looking surface, kind of more satin than even glass bead.

And this is exactly whst you would use when carding black velvet off parts that you are slow rust bluing or even cold bluing, so it is one of those things that is multipurpose.

But, make sure the brush uses crimped .003" stainless steel wire bristles. Not .005" non-crimped that Brownells has.

1 Like

you can always just pee on them for that antique look.

4 Likes

Some people may appreciate buying stuff I “marked”. Others not so much.

:rofl:

5 Likes

:open_mouth: Once again I am in awe of your work. Incredible Sir!

6 Likes