What? An armed good guy stops a shooting?šŸ˜³

I would take that case all day long, The store manager triggered an alarm with an unknown population of varied health conditions and potentially created a situation where people where gathered in a smaller area and would be easier targets for an active shooter. Lastly we DONā€™T know if people where harmed or not because people fled the building in terror or confusion.
So from a legal standpoint you are arguing Schrodingerā€™s cat.
If he states his intent was to evacuate the building because someone was in the middle of a legal activity he has effectively admitted to violating the law and willfully and maliciously caused panic. THE VERY THING THEY ARE ACCUSING THE YOUNG MAN OF. His actions where precisely shouting fire in a crowded room when there wasnā€™t one.

2 Likes

That was my concern as well. Not to mention a personā€™s reaction to a shooter would be different than if they had to react to a fire. So pulling the fire alarm has the armed civilians leaving the building.

2 Likes

But the idiot wasnā€™t, he was in the midst of the people and from other killings the killer waited until he/she was either in an area of opportunity or at an strategic advantage. Yes a killer working in conjunction with a second killer could have set up an ambush and use the doorways as a defile to funnel the victims - but again by pulling the fire alarm people will tend to use the exits even after gunfire simply because that is where they were heading
@ sarge
Yes he was in a State that allow open carry but stop defending the idiot for using bad judgement and the failure of common sense.

3 Likes

Iā€™m defending the actions of a free man, not the logic of a moron.
Its a slippery slope when we attack people who are exercising their rights. This is what they are doing to us everyday.

2 Likes

I hope youā€™re not on the prosecutionā€™s side. While your points are true you still canā€™t make a case for malicious intent.

And as far as Schrƶdingerā€™s cat is concerned, I think youā€™re stretching a bit. We donā€™t know the state of the cat until we look. We can look at this situation and see that willful and malicious are not both true.
An ā€œAnd Gate vs Or Gateā€ is a more apt illustration.

Iā€™d like to be on that jury as well.

4 Likes

I agree with @Sarge4206th

This guy was stupid, stupid, stupid, but he broke no laws and didnā€™t hurt anyone. Just as free speech protect those that say even the most horrific and terrible things. We may not like what they say, and they may be a complete dumbshit, but we have to protect thier right to say it.

This guy didnā€™t help matters, thatā€™s for sure, but just like the 2A auditors who carry their rifles around town. They have every right to do it and I will defend that right all day long.

3 Likes

Schrƶdingerā€™s cat - refers to the state of the people who evacuated. Until we look for these people we donā€™t know if they where injured by his actions.
His actions to falsely declare an emergency using an alarm designed to alert for fire, a potential life threatening danger donā€™t require evidence other than he openly admitted to pulling the alarm and performing said false alarm.
The only thing needed to satisfy the requirements of the law would be for an evacuated person from the store to show damages from the alarm being triggered as prior to the alarm being triggered no one was in fear for their lives sufficiently to flee.

1 Like

I agree with this for the most part. And why I think youā€™re correct that he committed no crime. But theamendments that protect these freedoms, protect them only from the government. There are many things that are legal for us to say but can get us in a row about.

My points relate only to the manager at this point.

2 Likes

If the manager is allowed to trigger false alarms every time he feels something is out of his comfort zone he will eventually end up killing someone.
Allowing this level of paranoia to continue will result in someone in a gun shirt with a phone bulge in their belt line triggering swat team response.

1 Like

Not based on what you say here.

2 Likes

Ok this I mostly agree with. It may have been a dumb move but does not rise to a prosecutable crime.

1 Like

Willfully -deliberate, voluntary, or intentional:
Maliciously - vicious, wanton, or mischievous in motivation or purpose.

Wanton - Grossly careless or negligent; reckless

There ya go bud per legal definition.

1 Like

with out delving into Walmarts SOP for dealing with perceived threats, you or I can not make that assumption, and on top of it your augment fails when applied to objective mens rea

2 Likes

under common law, mens rea is the mental state required to show that the prohibited act or omission was committed with a ā€œguilty mindā€; strict liability crimes do not require a mens rea . malice crime under common law, a malice crime requires that the defendant recklessly disregarded an obvious or known risk that a particularly harmful result would occur.
Pulling a fire alarm in a crowded store when there is no fire is akin to screaming fire in a crowded room and making that connection is easy peasy.

2 Likes

Now youā€™ll need a definition of ā€œGrossly carelessā€

Iā€™d give him some retraining perhaps. But Iā€™d not convict him based on what we know now.

2 Likes

An act or the omission to do something which a reasonable and prudent person would, or would not, do under similar circumstances.ā€

2 Likes

Well Iā€™ll put up $20 heā€™s not charged with anything. Probably not even reprimanded.

3 Likes

That there is the test - and tested in front of jury of his peers, heā€™d not be convicted of any wrongdoing - the prosecutor will know that and therefore not prosecute.

2 Likes

however without knowing the local ordinance but you may discover that pulling of a ā€œfireā€ alarm can be used to muster and enact a evacuation especially in a large complex such as retail establishment and sporting complex where large number of people gather.

Having a Right doesnā€™t make it Right

2 Likes

I agree but, again he is evacuating a facility for no legal reason, the very reason the law was written around pulling fire alarms for no reason.

1 Like