What are you guys using for plates/carriers?

Well yeah, paper is flexible.

6 Likes

I have steel and ceramic. Donā€™t use the steel much since I bought the ceramic. I prefer a separate plate carrier and chest rack for mags etc.

6 Likes

I got SafeLife Defense, IIIA+, and I have their rifle-rated version on the way too. The flexibility helps it hug my torso. They still have to leave the belly open so that I can lean over though. But itā€™s really light.

Plus it fits under my shirt. No one knows I have it on until I tell them.

11 Likes

Itā€™s an acclimation issue.

Think of it in terms of concealed carry.

You decide to carry a handgun, pick out a holster, then spend at least the first week continually adjusting the holster, trying to find that comfortable spot. Over the next year or so, you may change to a different gun, and it wouldnā€™t be odd for you to try out different holsters, trying to find a better option.

Then one day, you are heading out the door and something just ā€˜feels offā€™. You start through a mental checklist to see if you have forgotten something, then you realize you donā€™t have the gun on you. At some point, you became acclimated to having the gun on you, and it now feels weird to not have it on you.

Same thing happens with various types of protective gear (face shields, respirators, etc). If you rarely use them, they are bothersome and likely a nuisance to use. If you use them regularly, they eventually become something that you are more accustomed to wearing, and while itā€™s not likely that you will get to the point that you forget you have them on, you adjust physically and mentally to doing things while wearing them.

The solution is more training, while wearing the plate carrier.

ā€¦or just start wearing the plate carrier everywhere you go, and youā€™ll acclimate yourself to wearing it, even faster.

12 Likes

Iā€™m too old and too slow for heavy armor. If I wore plates, (especially steel) it would just turn me into a slow moving tactical turtle. I want to be out of the field of fire ASAP not sitting in it waiting for someone to find the gaps between the armor.
Plus, as @Belt-Fed saidā€¦I really donā€™t give much of a damn anymore.

11 Likes

Plate Carrier

We were jungle fighters here. Black jammies, boonie hats, and quiet as a mouse. When I jump up and down all you hear is gone.
Can di di mau PDQ with nothing to weigh us down.
We ruled the night.
Not here to fight a war, just harass and evade.

12 Likes

In your opinion what should peoples gear look like in these types of scenarios? (Civil unrest, civil war, riots, etc)

Any advice on gear set up and selection?

A lot of the military guys giving advice on this stuff are from newer generations that probably had different logistics and training needs.

With the way things are heading Iā€™m getting ready to reevaluate my gear.

I would be interested in hearing a little on your mindset and perspective on gear, if you dont mind.

10 Likes

These are the two plate carriers that I would chooseā€¦

13 Likes
6 Likes

I concur. Now you got me thinking about eating out! :flushed:

6 Likes

Hooters?

5 Likes

Who? Those 2 are mine :grin: :tongue::cat:

7 Likes

(1)Blend in, be the grey man. In the day when your seen, then play the waiting game. At night, darkness is your friend,weather is your lover and quiet is a way of life.
See the guys on TV with the camo and hats on backwards, plates and moral patchesā€¦ dont be them.

(2) Nope. Im too behind the times. Light and quiet. It you can jump up and down and or jump off a chair and not make a sound, then you have the right gear. If you kit slips and slides or pinches, its wrong for you.

(3)Gear is mission specific. I have gillie suits in the raw. I will not dyed them to fit the season (of the year)until I need them for that season. We have more brown camo than green, but we still have green for the rainy season (Oct-Apr).
One size does not fit all.
I bet 60% of my gear will be left behind, depending on travel and mode of transport.

(4) I think you got most of it above. Train with what you have. In the fall/winter/spring months I walk the forest with my gear. Some of it is older than most of the folks on this board. I retired out in 92, so the new fangled stuff is beyond me.

The metal pot I carry on my melon today, may not be as light or effective as a kevlar helmet is. But I can cook fish in it, bathe in it. Wash your socks and skivvies in it. Sit on it so charlie didnt blow my balls off (while flying in machines they left the armor plating off of, so it would go faster.

What can you do with a modern one?
shultz

See our rules of engagement and how we adapted to the environment we were in, dictates our gear.

10 Likes

Make sense :+1:

8 Likes

@Cawā€¦about the grey man ideology, and as @Quick_Draw_Mcgraw pretty much saidā€¦donā€™t stick out.
James Wesley Rawles once said something to the effect that in his opinion, the last man standing after teotwawki wouldnā€™t be the armored up, kitted out commando looking typeā€¦but the guy in jeans, sneakers and a t-shirt armed with a K98 Mauser.
(Iā€™d argue SKSā€¦but to each their own lol)

9 Likes

I agree with it. My chest rigs , holsters etc are concealable, my bags/packs look like regular bags or are regular bags. I dont dress tactical or even sport logos on my clothing. I agree with the approach, I just like hearing peoples opinions on this stuff, especially from the older generations that may have a different view.

I stopped sporting bulky tactical stuff when I decided I would rather be able to move fast and shoot more than be able to tank shots and have a bunch of nifty gadgets in 50 different pockets.

These flexible plates sound neat though

9 Likes

Lighten your load.

How many of you have a battery operated range finder?
Heavy and batteries wear down.
He is one example of how you go into history and find an item that will do the job, cheaper and lighter.
My range finder
It fits in the bottom of a ammo punch, or hang off your kit.

Think like this and you may survive what is coming.

Your mindset will determine your reality. (so says Quigon Jin)

8 Likes

You are at Hooters eating and enjoying the scenery and all the TVā€™s change over to a News Alert, Nukes are flying, The greatest fear is happening, Do you grab those two plate carriers to save and protect them or go raid the big coolers and load your truck full of Beer ?

6 Likes

Have my way with 1 ā€œplate carrierā€ while the 2nd one fills my truck with the beer!

6 Likes

Iā€™d change the channel. However, if the mass hysteria was enough to convince the two plate carriers to accompany me home for a night cap, wellā€¦ Iā€™ll call you in the morning.

6 Likes