What ever happened to the 6.8 SPC?

It was all the rage about 5 years ago ,even the military was talking about switching to it but it appears to have died off, seems like a neat round too bad it didnt quite get there and become more popular. All that popped up on google was speculation but im curious if there was some downside it in terms of retiability or wear and tare or if it was just a trend like 90% of these specialty calibers for the AR?

The military talks about switching to everything but practically never does.

The problem with most .223/5.56 alternatives is that they’re only marginally better. There are actually a lot of obscure calibers that are objectively better than .223/5.56 - but they’re only a little better. That slight increase in performance is enough to beat the massive market and infrastructure surrounding .223/5.56.

The 6.8 SPC vs 6.8 SPC II also didn’t help anything.

2 Likes

The 6.8 spc had better ballistics and was flatter shooting. Its been probably the biggest contender, so far. I was just curious what happened to it? Its damn near dead.

Maybe im wrong on the “flatter shooting part” ,I was thinking of the 6.5 grendel.

To you Joe!

3 Likes

Wont play for me. I will try again in a bit. Thanks though, switchpod.

The way calibers come and go for ARs is the reason I dont own any .300 blackout set ups lol

1 Like

I know how you feel. I’m very open to 6.5 grendle and 6.5 creedmoor my self.

2 Likes

That can be said about a lot of calibers.

But being better isn’t enough for the millions upon millions of dollars it would take for an industry switch - and the industry isn’t going to mass switch until the military does.

2 Likes

True.