What is the ideal number of guns to own?

ALL:

I am getting the impression that none of you worry about maintenance, storage, cost, attractive nuisances, guns becoming obsolete, and on and on. That’s ok here, but best of luck to you all on your gun purchases.

And, for the record, my original ideal number of guns (as of a few years ago), was 100. However, after having had some time to experience what it was like to have a few dozen guns, I decided that though there are many guns I would enjoy having, the things I mentioned above (maintenance, storage, etc), caused me to reevaluate my goal and aim for a more realistic number.

9 Likes

Some of my favorite rifles and shotguns are “obsolete”. I hunt with flintlock rifle and Fowler as well as WWII surplus bolt rifles. My favorite (and most accurate) centerfire handgun is a 1950’s S&W M-14.

If it goes “boom” it’s not obsolete. :wink:

10 Likes

I fondled a new SP5 today, thought about taking it home til i looked at the price

8 Likes

You mean you fondled a big girl in back of van and she told you your wallet did not hold enough for any more fun time with her…

8 Likes

Darn sure Jesus said One.

7 Likes

:infinity:

7 Likes

38 The disciples said, “See, Lord, here are two swords.”

“That’s enough!” he replied.

8 Likes

That would make shooting sports difficult.

9 Likes

Yep. We’d be back to King David’s tech… a sling and stones :yep:

7 Likes

ALL OF THEM. Except mine.

9 Likes

The ideal number for me seems to be one more than what I presently own…

10 Likes

Naw, 4 reasons :

1. Me likes venison too much ,
    2.Not to mention it sure cheapens the meat bill. And at the rate its going a family wont be able to afford to buy beef.

2. I aint never worked the gumption up to jump out of a tree on one with a knife.

3. I like guns and I need something to expedite lead at​:deer:🫎… :_357: :yep:

7 Likes

@Stumpkiller

Fair enough. Though, I consider the original Ruger LCP as obsolete, for example, as the LCP Max holds more rounds and the action stays open once the mag is emptied. So, more and/or better, features, plus, generally if it holds more rounds, shoots more accurately, etc, than the previous models, or even is easier to take down and reassemble - these can make prior versions of the same model gun, obsolete (in my opinion).

5 Likes

My favorite of ours is the ‘57’ Win M88 in 308. They say it’s obsolete, to complicated so hard to clean, crappy trigger, and kicks like a mule. All valid points.

However with our example, the trigger was worked over and is so light and consistent it could be called a Hair. The limb saver tamed the kick, and fixed the LOP. A internet search found a used set of pins to use as slave pins to assist in the cleaning dis-reassembly.

The rifle loaded with the tilt to side El Paso Weaver and limb saver is a easy carry handy sub 8lbs accurate AF 308 that is loved instantly by all that shoulder it.

So I get the love for old and obsolete. It doesn’t have to mean heavy, cumbersome and useless.

We may resotck our oldies to save the vintage wood and make them even more comfortable and field servicable.

If we had a M1 Garand or M14 we definitely would be.

6 Likes

72… Minimum. Have extras after that.

There’s a specific reason I identify that amount, some here know what I’m talking about. 72 is the bare minimum. All types, bolts, ARs, shotguns, pistols. All. 72 minimum.

7 Likes

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

That’s what I expect from you :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs:

4 Likes

It’s the answer to the ultimate question of life, the universe and everything

(who knows their hitchhiker series?)

6 Likes

@DontBlameMeIStubbedMyToe

LOL. But, who knows? 42 may well be the right answer! But then, of the 42, how many handguns, how many rifles, how many shotguns? Good luck answering that.

6 Likes

yes

6 Likes

Some folks have 42 under their bed, not telling who.

9 Likes