What is the point of the larger bulky red dots?

Seems like 90% of people tend to choose micros or a more compact RDS over the larger ones(including myself). What exactly do optics like the Aimpoint m4s do that the smaller optics do not?

I am assuming there is more to it other than battery selection. I tried googling but the ratings and what not seem similar.

11 Likes

I am going to “assume” that the main reason would be durability.

More likely to hold up to extreme punishment in a harsh environment like military/LE applications.

Just an assumption, nothing to back it up with.

Could just be that some folks believe that bigger is better…:man_shrugging:t4:

14 Likes

I know that it’s difficult in bright sunlight to see the dot on some of the micro units compared to the larger housed units

13 Likes

The larger red dot optics seem to be easier for me to pick up the dot. Larger the screen or tube the further from center you can be and still see it. Really like the circle/dot optics Sightmark, Holosun, and Eotech offer.

15 Likes

Okay then…for old guys who can’t see :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Of which, I am one.
:sunglasses:

13 Likes

That’s my thinking

13 Likes

red dot FOV equivalent perhaps

13 Likes

I need some magnification. you young whipper snappers can see that stuff.

14 Likes

I would take my ACOG over a mini red dot all day long. I also would bet they are more durable to drops than a small one.

14 Likes

I was wondering about that. ACOGs are the definition of bomb proof, my buddy has a pic of an ACOG that survived an IED blast that even killed the rifle. Hard to believe any optic can take that amount of abuse and still work.

14 Likes

I really like the 3x flip out

12 Likes

fancy :star_struck:

10 Likes