What is your favorite ammo company? And why?

Double Tap is definitely a favorite around here!

2 Likes

Thanks for the replyā€¦have you tried their 450 SMC? supposed to travel at 10mm speed

2 Likes

No sorry I havenā€™t I have nothing in that caliber. Iā€™ve shot my fair share of their 10 mm though, the best 10 MM ammunition made in my opinion.

1 Like

Having a lot of Federal gold medal match on hand canā€™t be a bad thing.

5 Likes

@switchpod Nice! I have a few filing cabinet drawers full of that stuff for my 25-06 & 270 short mag . I canā€™t believe what a box cost nowadays LOL

4 Likes

Iā€™ll be hitting the range this weekend weather permittingā€¦ Weā€™ll post photos later if I make it.

Just my rifle rounds showing above and listed below.

600 rounds of Federal Gold Medal Sierra MatchKing WIN .308 168 grain

40 rounds of Federal American Eagle Varmint & Predator WIN .308 130 grain

20 rounds of Liberty Animal Instinct WIN .308 100 grain 3500 FPS Supersonic

20 rounds of G2 Research Trident WIN .308 Solid Copper 150 grain Supersonic

25 rounds of Federal12g #4 3" Magnum Steel Buckshot

25 rounds of Remington 12g BB 3" HyperSonic

10 rounds of Remington 12g 3.5" Nitro Turkey

100 rounds of Remington WIN 30 -30 170 grain Core-Lokt

50 rounds of 12g 3" 1 3/8 oz Brenneke Black Magic Magnum Sabot

These are what I use for my rifles. For each different rifle I have, Iā€™ve range tested seeking for the best performing and most consistent, so this is what I ended up withā€¦

4 Likes

@switchpod Excellent box to keep with some interesting head stamps! Save ā€˜em!!! I found full boxes at a gun show for $8 in Fayetteville, NC. I bought the only 2 they had.

1 Like

Man I wish I was there for that!

2 Likes

Iā€™ve been liking Hornady and Fiocci lately.

5 Likes

Itā€™s hard to not like Hornady!

4 Likes

Their 6.5 Creedmoor ELD Match is absolutely amazing.

4 Likes

Thatā€™s what i have heard. I really donā€™t want another caliber in my collection, but if i make an exception it will most likely be 6.5 creed.

3 Likes

I like to keep my ammo collection tight as well. Less stuff to stockpile and spend money on.

But when it comes to factory available ammunition, itā€™s hard to beat 6.5 Creedmoor. Though Iā€™m sure someone will chime in as to why [insert caliber here] is better.

3 Likes

My last count was 33 different calibers. I really really donā€™t want another.
If I where to get one it would be the Tikka or I would build one.

3 Likes

6.5 sounds interesting. Iā€™ve been trying to obtain more common calibers & large surplus of those arms & ammo while thining out the odd ones. Problem is, I canā€™t part with the less common I have lol

4 Likes

Loaded question! :wink: For meā€¦in general:

1. Centerfire Rifle: Tula and Wolf for the AK. Federal and Hornady for everything else.
  2. Handgun: I usually roll my own, but I also prefer Federal, CCI, Winchester.
  3. Shotgun: Federal, Winchester, Remington.
  4. Rimfire: CCI and Federal

Iā€™ve had good luck with other brands such as Fiocchi, Seller & Bellot, Speer, Geco, etc. The above list is just a personal preferenceā€¦subject to change without notice. :wink:

6 Likes

I like .300 win mag more than 6.5 creedmoor, its not really better but they stack up pretty similar. The 6.5 being flatter shooting and the .300 packing more of a punch. .300 is also more readily available from what ive seen. Ive tried a .338 lapua out too and liked it. Im not into large caliber precision shooting too much though.

2 Likes

The trade off is that .300 win mag is more expensive, wears out barrels faster, and is much heavier in general.

In my opinion - most shooters, aside from long distance hunters, never fully utilize the caliber and would have no difference using something more economical. What do I mean by that? If the farthest you ever shoot is 300m, then other calibers will give you everything you need at a fraction of the cost.

4 Likes

A choice of ammo depends on how much you will spend per rd.
Personal defense is not an area to be economy minded. Most major companies make good personaldefense rounds. Winchester, Hornady, etc.
For the range I think Federal is my favorite now. I buy in bulk & have not had any problems.

3 Likes

Makes sense ,I think the .300 would put elk down a little better. I didnt know about the barrel wear being worse though or the price being that much more. Those are definitely pluses on the 6.5s side.

1 Like