What is your favorite “Wonder Nine”?

What is your favorite wonder nine?
Understanding that most all modern pistols nowadays fit into this definition let’s define it and see what your favorite might be.
Wikipedia defines the term as “ Wonder Nine refers to any semi-automatic pistol that is chambered in 9×19mm Parabellum and has a staggered column magazine, as well as a double-action trigger for at least the first shot. The term was coined by firearms author Robert Shimek, and became popular in American firearm-related magazines during the 1980s and the 1990s by those advocating their use by police forces.”

But not to muddy the waters too badly let’s put one more item on the list to narrow the definition. The pistol must have a steel frame and slide as well with the aforementioned parameters.

With this term now more defined the beretta 92, CZ75, Browning Hi-power, Star M28, HK p7/13, MAB PA-15, Walther P88, and the Smith&Wesson model 59 series of pistols. Please excuse me if I have left out others, but these are the ones that come to mind that are all steel.

So what’s your Favorite?

Mine, for the money, I choose the Star Model 28DA. It’s an incredibly smooth, accurate shooter with a tank like design to boot!
Here is a closer look at my pick.

12 Likes

All good choices! I can’t believe I left out the Hi-power. I will edit.

11 Likes

Sig -226 cause thats the only wonder nine i have sort of it’s a 40S&W but i plan on putting a conversion barrel on it

11 Likes

Mine would have to be the Smith & Wesson series 39 (single stack) and the 59 (double stack) Devel Conversions. They were among the 1st custom compact carry guns ever made by Charles Kelsey pioneering the way for today’s small compact firearms.

13 Likes

I think the definition is too narrow since the lions share of Hi-Power production has a SA trigger.

I suspect if Shimek was writing today any modern double column mag fed 9mm would be a wonder nine. Sorry, none of mine are DA/SA. I’ve fired them and just don’t like them.

13 Likes

9mm or 357 Sig barrel?

12 Likes

9mm barsto makes a barrel

12 Likes

I really like that one on the bottom, and by the looks of it, it looks like you like it too. Definitely has some carry wear on the bead blast finish.
The lighting cuts, under cut grip, and trigger guard changes the whole look of that design.

12 Likes

I own a Barsto conversion barrel in 357 Sig. very accurate barrel in my opinion.

12 Likes

I think the HK vp9 that i shot was really nice! that would be my pick.
I am a 40cal guy and i do have a conversion barrel for my Glock 23 just in case👍

12 Likes

The most common wonder nines are the striker fired polymer ones such as Glock, p320, S&W M&P and they are more popular (not “better”) by a wide margin. It’s rather weird to use terminology or info based on 80s tech and viewpoints. I just read Jim Cirillos book on gunfighting again and while it’s neat it is outdated, I wouldnt even consider some of what he says in a modern context. Same should be applied to this term.

If we are just wanting to discuss steel framed nines then Hi-power but if it must be DA/SA then maybe the CZ75 or Beretta 92

13 Likes

Oops, I missed the must have a steel frame part my pick don’t count :man_facepalming:

13 Likes

the Grandaddy to them all
My 2 1937 FN GP35s, followed by my 1945 Inglis…

13 Likes

Just in case barrels are good to have in our current situations!

12 Likes

Not bad choices at all.

12 Likes

Still very relevant pistols in my opinion.

12 Likes

and I can own the stocks…

12 Likes

Wish i had a 9mm

13 Likes

Same here.
If I did it would be a CZ 75

13 Likes

Actually the bottom gun started just like the middle one, as a S&W 59 then it was either reworked by Devel or the option for the Full House con version which is the bottom gun. And the top one is the S&W 39 Devel conversion.

13 Likes