What model Glock would you get

What model of glock would you buy ?I am trying to decide between the 19,17, and 45. I want one because like it or not They offer the most chance of finding mags and parts if things go south on us.

10 Likes

Don’t know if I should answer this…

6 Likes

But I would suggest the Sig P220

8 Likes

Of those three in your scenario, the 19. 17 and 45 mags hold 17 rounds, but the 19 will accept the G19 and G17/G45/G34/G17L mags. I don’t think the extra barrel length and sight radius of the 17 will benefit you so much in that scenario, so it’s the 19 for versatility.

11 Likes

I am looking at what the law enforcement officers carry in this area and every one carry a glock of some kind . I am not a glock fan I personally prefer a 1911 but I am looking for something that has the greatest possibility of finding mags and parts. So in this area the Sig is a no go.

10 Likes

I like Glocks. I have said it before they are disposable. When the cops take it for evidence after your justified self defense shooting you just go get another one. It isn’t like a CZ or a 1911.

In your scenario they are as ubiquitous as it gets. Parts are easy to get now, and we should all be getting stocked up.

The solution to your quandary may the 19X.

10 Likes

I agree 100% with this evaluation.
I’ve been through pretty much all of the Glock models and the Gen 4 G19 gives you pretty much the most versatility in my opinion.

11 Likes

The lanyard ring and the protrusion at the front of the grip limits the mag you can use . And it only comes in brown and being a glock it needs no help in looking like a turd.

9 Likes

I have a 19,17,23and,36. They all work just fine. I carry the 19 more than any others. Most parts fit the 19,17or 23. The 36fits in the same holster as the 19&23.
I also have less of a problem w/one of my Glocks being booked into evidence than one of my original Kimbers or old S&W’s.

8 Likes

So the consensus is the 19X isn’t any improvement?

8 Likes

It’s a more expensive brown version of the 45. The stupid lip on the front of the magwell prevents it from using any mags with pre-Gen5 baseplates.

9 Likes

Gotcha. 19 it is then.

8 Likes

If it’s all the same to you, I noticed that there are still tons of 3rd party upgrades for gen 3 glock 19 and 17. Not so much for gen 1, 2, 4 or 5. So unless you have to set up your gun for left-handed mag release, the 19 and 17 gen 3 are the most flexible. It’s possible to grind off the finger grooves and re-stipple (or have a professional do it) if the grip bothers you.

I’ve had less choice when looking for tungten guide rods, trigger upgrades, and so on for my gen 5. Adapter slides for 22lr, laser, green gas or CO2 dryfire, ported slides, non-MOS optic cuts, and so on are also most available for gen3.

7 Likes

Thanks. Less expensive as well.

7 Likes

BTW, even with my gen3, I can still use gen5 mags, which I like, because the follower is an easy-to-see, contrasting color.

8 Likes

Gen1-4 are basically all the same parts-wise other than the Gen4 mag catch and slight differences in trigger mechanism housings. They can also run all generations of mags so long as the mag catch remains on the left side on the Gen4 (Gen1-3 mags are notched on right side only). Gen4 slides will not work on previous gen frames due to the change to dual spring recoil spring assemblies. A few other differences but those are the main ones.

8 Likes

G45 is sweet gun. I have put over a thousand rounds through mine and it is still shooting without an issue. It is a gen five, as all G45’s are, and can use any mag. that will fit in a G17 .

9 Likes

G19 for your scenario of being the most magazine versatile in a shtf world. If I was going to get another glock it would be the G45 because the grip length I liked better.

8 Likes

Buy a CZ P10 (F or C) depending the size you want
Better trigger right of the box and no need to customize so you can shoot it.

6 Likes

Gen 4 also uses interchangeable backstraps which allows a bit of grip modification without having to spend additional $$$

6 Likes