What optics do you prefer for a "go-to" rifle ?

Isn’t that what I wrote?

I had an ACOG and I sold it when it needed refreshing and went to batteries instead. Under conditions I never had to use it in the tritium would have been useless IMO, at least for my eyes. There is a huge difference when testing it when it doesn’t count and having to use it when the reticle absolutely must be picked up rapidly. Lithiums have a long room temp shelf life and assuming SHTF, a freezer with alkalines in it, when the electricity stops the alkalines start to age. Until then they hibernate waiting for warmer temps. Of course with PV panels, as previously discussed, the battery in the unit lasts a VERY long time since it isn’t used when there’s ambient light.

The other thing I didn’t like about the ACOG is that it’s for young eyes only. There was no way to focus it when my Rx changed, and eyes change for lots of folks over 40. That was the 2nd reason I sold the ACOG. I could no longer have a focused reticle. But I liked it while it worked.

5 Likes

Yea , makes sense too.

3 Likes

it is funny that everyone forgets the local testing that happened in our backyards with no ill effect…emp wise.

4 Likes

Age explains it. Just us older SOBs remember it. The young are above what we learned :smiley: . I just wrote that to get their attention. It’s just not mentioned except for places like here so they can’t possibly know.

4 Likes

I replied to srdiver, though the post doesn’t show that, I probably screwed it up. The young don’t know what they aren’t taught. In this case regarding the EMP that paralyzed Hawaii. EMP was discussed up a bit in the thread and how it would kill people, yada, yada. It can happen so high up that folks might not even know of it since sound doesn’t travel in a vacuum. They might not even see a flash. Suddenly things just stop working.

4 Likes

I figured as much. I had never heard of this incident before. Makes sense though. :+1:

4 Likes

I am a firm believer that someone will try this EMP thing in war. Wether it is used on us or someone else.

6 Likes

I had to reread that. I misunderstood part of what was said , my bad for that. We were basically saying the samething though about the ACOG dimming to a point of being unusable. That point being dependant on the person.

3 Likes

No big deal. I wish I had a buck every time I misread or read over something. We’re human and neither of us got our undies in a bunch. It’s easier to discuss face to face, but we do OK in text, emoticons help take the place of facial expressions.

4 Likes

Be careful applying that to Robert, he can be rather decieving.

3 Likes

4 Likes

It blew out street lights and other electrical devices but you got to remember that was in the era of checks and paper money. Not sure they would have felt it as hard as they would have now

4 Likes

I don’t know bud. I could go trade that thing in right now for a brand new marlin 45-70 or 30-30. I tend to enjoy lever actions and revolvers more so than AR’s and semi auto pistols. I still like the and would never sell a gun but those red dot sites work well to. I could downgrade and still be happy is what I’m saying.

4 Likes

Or even trade it for a partial payment on a thermal scope. That would be awesome for coyotes. I don’t know.

6 Likes

Fair point, im just saying its still a cool sight. Im a red dot guy so you wont get much of a negative opinion out of me.

4 Likes

I prefer the Elcan Specter 4X

5 Likes

LOL, I bet anyone who’s had/try’s one does also :grin:

4 Likes

I’ve never tried one. What are they like

4 Likes

Just looked it up and I don’t think I would ever pay that much for a battery powered optic.

4 Likes

I like the scope but its 2k.

Basically it only has a 1x and 4x magnification, no inbetween. Its literally armored and overbuilt. I wouldnt pay that much either but I love the idea.

6 Likes