What optics do you prefer for a "go-to" rifle ?

what no love for Aimpoint comp m4/5

8 Likes

I think this all depends on what your range isā€¦ in Washington state, 200 yards is a very long shot if you are in the Puget Sound area. In Montana you better be brushed up on where your rifle hits at 400+ yards.

4 Likes

I like them but the tube is kind of big. Ive owned A Sig and DI optics clone of them too. All seem pretty rugged and over built.

4 Likes

I have the Aimpoint, Sig, Vortex, and I have played with the Burris magnifiers and like all of them actually. I am just perfering to run the scopes now, mainly because if I run out of batteries, I still have a working optic and for the most part they are lighter and a simpler setup.

7 Likes

I had an Aimpoint comp M4sā€¦it was excellent. I sold it when I needed cash. It held its value well.
It was a very nice red dot, rugged, awesome battery life. No issues. I just prefer the lpvo and find my use for a red dot is extremely limited to plinking guns and home defenseā€¦ymmv.

6 Likes

For me, a red dot, unmagnified.

5 Likes

Ever tried the Eotech vudu 1-6 scopes? Those are pretty cool. The brightness is not the greatest but having an eotech reticle at 1x is nice.

4 Likes

What kind of rds.

2 Likes

I have not owned one but I looked through a few. Hate to say itā€¦ but for the money I prefer Leupold!

4 Likes

Really? Im the exact opposite. For the money the Vudu has great glass and a cool reticle, I do not understand why they made it so dim though.

I am still much more of a Iron sight/RDS type of guy in general or I like the 4x (or more) prism scopes with an offset RDS.

4 Likes

Yeahā€¦ i prefer Trijicon over the EoTech. The EoTech is well over a grand and the Leupold, Trijicon, Sig Sauer, even the Burrisā€¦ I prefer. If I am going to spend over a grand on a weapon scope, I will pick up a US Optics before a EoTechā€¦ or a Leupoldā€¦
While the EoTech is great, I was not impressed with the clarity compared to the price. But maybe thatā€™s because I wear glasses? Not sure. Everyoneā€™s different. Hahahha

5 Likes

I use iron sights more then anythingā€¦I knowā€¦thats weird .

5 Likes

Not really. Any of my ā€œgo toā€ weapons have iron sights.

5 Likes

Iately my red dot set ups have been 1/3 cowitness but with a fixed front sight mounted on a free float rail with a flip up for the rear.

4 Likes

I have two dots mounted, one is a Sig Sauer Romeo 4, and the other is a Burris Fastfire 3. I donā€™t like variable magnification optics on fighting rifles. Like you Iā€™m fond of irons, and Iā€™m good with them out to about 400, or where drop overcomes the ability to accurately hold above.

4 Likes

Dont care for ACOGs or other prism scopes?

3 Likes

I believe I stated this before, but it stands to be restated. I am both for and against EO Tech optics. They have always proven to be reliable and accurate, as well as providing an extremely efficient reticleā€¦

Their issue is their extremely anemic battery life and their over inflated price tag.

They provide zero performance or options over competitive tier one optics, and are nearly twice the cost of what some would consider a tier two optic.
(Aside from a long-standing reputation, I believe some of those newer tier two optics can hold their own vs an EOTech. )

Again, let me reiterate, I believe EOTech makes a phenomenal opticā€¦ I just think there are better options for the same price, or reasonable options for even lower prices.

5 Likes

Agreed. To be fair, I was talking about their variable 1-6 scope. My buddy bought his for $850 but they are really overpriced now at $1300ish

4 Likes

I actually love ACOGS. But they are fixed power, and very sturdy. I wish I could afford one now, at some point I will buy oneā€¦ sometimes I see them on sale somewhere for ~$950ā€¦ used them in Iraq - you just get used to the sight picture in close quarters.

5 Likes

Did you ever try running an RDS at an angle with a prism scope? Kind of like this:

I love this set up compared to variable scopes, they just balance weird for me for run and gun type shooting.

4 Likes