What optics do you prefer for a "go-to" rifle ?

Well said. I don’t necessarily disagree with you, in fact you’re really making me want to get some of that Mod 1 ammo and see for myself. I have an AR at home with an 18" fluted WC barrel that I think would really rock it well.
And because I can order Vortex optics at 60% retail, I might try to get their Razor HD, simply because I respect the input of anyone with more experience than me, and I’m humble. I might be persuaded yet.

8 Likes

Is the 77 gr mk262 effective to 900+ yards?
http://sniperschool.com/forum/showthread.php?7-Is-the-77gr-223-5-56-effective-to-900yds-and-beyond&s=8f96b7311d4226a2f8e61fd3280cf2e4

" According to US DoD sources, the Mk 262 round is capable of making kills at 700 meters. Ballistics tests found that the round caused “consistent initial yaw in soft tissue” between 3 and 4 in at ranges from 15 feet to 300 meters. Apparently it is superior to the standard M855 round when fired from an M4 or M16 rifle, increasing accuracy from 3–5 minutes of angle to 2 minute of angle. It possesses superior stopping power, and can allow for engagements to be extended to up to 700 meters when fired from an 18-inch barrel. It appears that this round can drastically improve the performance of any AR-15 weapon chambered to .223/5.56 mm. Superior accuracy, wounding capacity, stopping power and range have made this the preferred round of many special forces operators, and highly desirable as a replacement for the older, Belgian-designed 5.56×45mm SS109/M855 NATO round. In one engagement, a two-man special forces team reported 75 kills with 77 rounds. The Mk 262 has a higher ballistic coefficient than the M855, meaning it loses less velocity at long-range.

8 Likes

:v:yeah I just read that actually

6 Likes

Retpara actually owns a pretty snazzy SPR and has quite a bit of first hand experience with them…its nice to have him around after talking with all these Heathen AK owners… (I kid I kid)

Oh also, this was a good read on the SPR.

7 Likes

Fuc%en troll!:joy:

9 Likes

Not sure about lethality at 900 but the testing done by the military shows lethality out to 700, good enough for me. Accuracy wise I can say from shooting comps that making hits out to 700 with MK262 is more than practical with a rifle set up to fully utilize the round. Furthest hits I’ve made is at 670 with my MK12. Did that at PNTC the year before last during the DMR comp. Once I figured out the wind drift it was actually pretty predictable.

For military guys it is a sought after round. Usually issued either to DMR/sniper guys or the teams. I was lucky on a couple of my tours and was able to swap out loads when I was attached to the teams.

Peace out Bro.

6 Likes

How does the mk262 do against barriers like automobile glass, car doors, sheetrock etc?

3 Likes

Good question I don’t have a answer for. It is a OTM type construction so it wold be interesting to see if that affects penetration, which I suspect it does. The MK262 has proven very effective against live target.

5 Likes

But you do have neighbors & they do have windshields. We’ll wait for your analysis…(jeopardy music playing):joy:

6 Likes

I love that 77 grain Blackhills. I have like 4 cases of it.

6 Likes

Me too.

5 Likes

I believe that is the Vortex Spitfire Steve. I’ve wanted to pick up the 3x model for a while…but never seem to have the $$$

3 Likes

This I know… I am sick and tired of replacing batteries… I am going to convert all my real go to weapons to glass…

7 Likes

It’s still my Vortex Viper PST Gen ll 1-6 Illuminated 30mm Scope with the MOA Reticle on my 9mm LR, with a 50 Round Glock Drum Mag.

Just to let you know the LR is not a typo and stands for Lever Release as we can’t be trusted in the UK to have a proper Semi Auto above .22LR.

Although we can have a Semi Auto 12 Bore Shotgun with unlimited Magazine capacity and shoot Solid Slugs.:rage:

It’s tough being a Gun Guy in the UK…!
Keep up the fight to protect your 2nd people :uk::us_outlying_islands:

12 Likes

I prefer something with no batteries, either iron or scope. I have both ready when the time comes and it’s getting closer.

10 Likes

Is there any other scopes out there like the Elcan , with just a 1x and a 4x magnification? Seems like a cool design.

4 Likes

So after a week of shooting with my son. Screw batteries. I was constantly replacing them. I want a 1-4 or 1-6 scope. Hey, they can have barriers too, but if they die, I am not left high and dry

5 Likes

1st hand Knowledge it’s decent better than most match type rounds but nothing on a bonded bullet or one designed for the task. MK318 and Trophy Bonded Bear Claws are the best round I ever tested for Barrier Blind. Both had zero deflection even at hardened vehicle glass or tempered glass regardless of angle. At one SWAT demo I shot MK318 through the front window of a car into the driver (water jug with sunglasses on). The MK318 went through the windshield, target, head rest, rear seat, and trunk (newer car thin metal/ plastic) and was lying on the berm 4 yards behind the vehicle. The round had Rivotted to .32 diameter and we ran a string through the entire vehicle absolutely zero deflection. MK318 doesn’t deflect and it also penetrates. It is also very good “fight stopper”.

Mk262 Mod1 is stupid accurate also a fight stopper but I wouldn’t trust it through glass at much of an angle.

Also FUSION ammo sucks in .223/ 5.56. Most match rounds are more barrier blind than fusion. Stuff sucks as a Bonded bullet. We shot car doors where the Fusion failed to make completely make it through we collected 4 desitigrated bullets imbedded in the arm rest of the door. Junk for penetration!

5 Likes

Im usually a variable power optic guy (Leupold VX6 1-6) with an offset red dot. But now I use NV more so back to a solid RDS (AIMPOINT M4)

Elcans are heavy and I had too many in the service that had POI shifts between the two magnification settings. Also their eye box is unforgiving.

5 Likes

Yea, EOtechs eat batteries like crazy. For red dots I prefer microdots or a Trijicon MRO.

3 Likes