What should I get for my first shotgun?

since you left it out - a tavor 12
beginning to appreciate shotguns that are bullpups

7 Likes

Mossberg 500 can act as home defense and good for hunting food once xiden biden’s food shortage starts.

GET PREPARED, BE PREPARED.

9 Likes

I have taken shotgun classes and shot skeet and trap and shotgun hunted for years . I personaly use Remington 870s more than anything else but most of mine are made before 1982 . If you are only after one for home or personal defence it would make me look at differnt models . I would stay away fron the china made clones .

9 Likes

Depends on what you are going to do with it, for example if it’s not going to be used exclusively for home defense then that shockwave is a waste of money. Any of the others will do what you want for hunting and protection. even the AR 12’s the VR80 comes with different chokes. Also do you want a pump or Auto?i would post some pics but have to find the guns. can’t remember which lake they are in.

7 Likes

Yes, no doubt there, the turkish guns are nice though.

7 Likes

One of the boys bought a Keltec KSG 12 (6+6+1)

Last week he finished upgrading it.

Plans are buck in one tube and slugs in the other. He’s still thinking about an adapter to choke it with something that will let him still use the rifled slugs.

9 Likes

I have a 870 that is several decades old. I have a 26" barrel and a 20" slug barrel. I added a +3 mag extension and a sling.
It wears the slug barrel unless I’m going hunting with it. We have a couple of Mossberg 500’s here on the farm too.
I do like the way my bullpup semi auto handles.

9 Likes

For your first shotgun, get a Mossberg 500 combo. Long hunting barrel with adjustable chokes, then a smooth bore short barrel in one package. Can use for home defense and hunting. I think like others, you will need to be able to hunt…
Besides that? IWI TS12 is a great bullpup…
Benelli M1, M2, or M3, M4… any of them or their turkish clones.
I love benelli and have 4 myself.

7 Likes

Fostech Origin 12.

6 Likes

Good gawd that’s a huge drum. mine are no where near that big and are 21 rounders.

7 Likes

7 Likes

Here’s a picture with the 20rnd drum from Fostech. It’s also in one of the videos that I posted.

It’s very comparable in size to the ones that you posted.

Going from 20rnds to 30rnds in a 12 gauge shotgun takes up a lot of mass!

8 Likes

I have a 20 round for the Saiga 12, but I prefer the 12 rounders. 20 is kinda unwieldy, and the 30 rounders are crazy, too bulky. The 30s are good for the 410s.

6 Likes

Rick how do you like that RIA VR80?

6 Likes

…and how reliable is it? The prices on those seem very reasonable.

7 Likes

Wish i could tell you guys, but i have not shot them yet. Every time i think about going something comes up i need to do.

and now it going to rain like three days and several inches so i won’t be able to get to the shooting place.

I might try to shoot them across the road from me, i shoot handguns over there but never tried not shotgun or rifle. i have to get permission which is always yes.

6 Likes

I agree with Belt Fed. It depends on what you want to use it for. Trap? Skeet? Sporting Clays? Home defense? Duck hunting?

I have a Mossberg Maverick 88 pump-action, Mossberg’s budget option to their 500. It’s almost the same except for a few things with parts made in Mexico and assembled in Texas. Just like the 500, I can easily switch from a 28” barrel to an 18.5” barrel in about a minute or less. I can also switch out the buttstock to whatever buttstocks fit the 500, but I can’t switch out the foregrip that easily without modifications (unlike with a 500 where you can easily replace it with a myriad number of aftermarket foregrips). If I had known that when I got mine about 15-20 years ago, I would’ve splurged more and gotten the 500, but my 88 has been flawless and has never malfunctioned despite my neglect of it.

Mossberg now offers a cool-looking retrograde:

While I’ve never shot one, I hear the older 870’s are awesome as far as pump shotguns. Then, of course, I’ve heard the same about the Benelli M4 being awesome as far as semi-autos go.

If you’re ever in the Dallas area, you need to check out the Beretta store. They have some beautiful, but super pricey shotguns that cost tens of thousands of dollars if money is no object!

7 Likes

If he is not careful he will end up owning several shotguns . I know I have 14 .

8 Likes

Damn I’m behind I only have 6.

4 Likes

Are they all in the same lake or you have them spread around?

5 Likes