What should I get for my first shotgun?

If he is not careful he will end up owning several shotguns . I know I have 14 .

8 Likes

Damn I’m behind I only have 6.

4 Likes

Are they all in the same lake or you have them spread around?

5 Likes

Bahahahahahahaaaa
Definitely has to have them spread around… LOL

5 Likes

Yeah… wow… i have more than 6 but…
Not THAT many…
(Ok, I have 2 up for sale right now too)

5 Likes

What do you plan on doing with it?

I could answer your question based on me, almost 70, and dislike long traditional firearms that don’t get on target fast for me anymore. But that probably wouldn’t be what you want. I have a KelTec KS7, and if I was buying today I would give serious consideration to the S&W 12 ga bullpup since it handle short shells perfectly. But I have what I have and perfection is hard to achieve and for me a shotgun is only there because I have ammo and see no need for ammo and no way to shoot it.

The S&W bullpup might not make the best upland game gun hence my first question. What do you plan on doing with it? When I went home on leave I still couldn’t buy a firearm for hunting, but I was trained on rocket launchers, M16s, machine guns, yada yada. My brother bought me a single shot 12 ga Stevens that I still have today. I’ve owned other MUCH finer shotguns but I will never part with that Stevens. I had the long barrel cut back to remove all choke and other mods. It’s deadly on upland game as long as I slow down otherwise I have a cloud of feathers and nothing else. Yeah, what do you want the shotgun for?

Could I use my KS7 for wingshooting? Probably since I modded it for choke tubes. But it wouldn’t be my first choice.

6 Likes

Yep same here. It’s a keeper. Ours has a folding ATI recoil stock, and a tactical hand guard. Put a rail on it but need to put a cheek pad and a Romeo on it. It deserves something better than the POS holo that’s on it. Very happy with it.

The nice thing about a pump is tactical reloads. Ours is already 7+1 and topping it off is as easy as pie.

7 Likes

I need one more . A 28 gauge rem 870 skeet grade wingmaster.

7 Likes

Nope not anywhere near a lake or pond . No paper trail on almost all of them so they cant be traced to me.

7 Likes

I’m mostly interested in defense, and other activities that translate over to defense.

7 Likes

Thanks. That helps.

Personally I like bullpups but not everyone does. They swing very fast with the mass missing “way out there”. The butt also tucks under the arm to prevent someone from grabbing the muzzle and levering it away from you, they’re short. Long guns are pretty easy to take away from the user. KelTec makes 2, the KS7 which is lightweight and may or may not feed short shells to up the mag capacity from 7 to 11-12 depending on what’s stuffed into the tube. It’s the luck of the draw on whether they’ll feed short shells, mine doesn’t reliably. They also make another one whose name escapes me that has twin tubes for higher mag capacity, more weight/mass to swing too. There are lots of people making parts to mod these bullpups. S&W makes a really nice twin mag tube bullpup that WILL feed short shells. There are others whose names I can’t recall.

If going with a long shotgun I like the ones that are fed from box mags. But you’ll need to do your research because I don’t know much about them. Find out what the 3 gun competitors are using. If it works in competition it’ll do what you want.

I don’t have pix of how my KS7 is currently set up, but it has a red dot sight for when it’s shouldered and a laser/light up front where my thumb can get to the switch. The laser is also the way I aim it when tucked under the arm. It also wears an adapter for a rifled choke tube to make it better suited for slugs. The rifled choke tube doesn’t affect buckshot. It does add a bit of length and that’s the pits, but everything is a trade off.

6 Likes

Here you go… :smile:

5 Likes

Rifled slugs don’t need a rifled choke tube. Sabot slugs need rifling.

4 Likes

That’s it! :grin:

How does he like it so far?

I fondled the short KSG at the LGS but didn’t want the wait to get it out of AFT jail or pay them more $. It sure is a cute short shotgun though. I still lust after it and that lust will never be satisfied.

For younger and more muscular folks (not me anymore) They make one with incredibly long mag tubes. It’s all on their website. My KS7 has enough mass “out there”, I just wish it reliably handled short shells but mine doesn’t (and that might be me), some do, it’s a crap shoot.

I’ve sold many of my long guns and moved to either SBRs, bullpups, or semi-auto handguns, to include the AR variety. I like short anymore, my warrior days are long over. I can teach and instruct, but humping a load and crawling through the puckerbrush? No.

The choke tube adapter I bought is:
https://www.hitechcc.com/product/HTC-DCA.html

I have various chokes, but I just leave the rifled tube in it. I’ve pretty much retired the KS7 and keep it around only if the SHTF so that I can use the 12ga ammo I have. To get the barrel nut off the gun your son needs the socket and it’s best to use an impact wrench. It’s on there pretty good. I have the socket if he wants to borrow it and pay the shipping both ways. That’s less $ than buying the socket and it’ll only be needed once.

I’m still undecided if my adapter will stay in place or be removed for a naked and lower mass muzzle. I try lots of stuff and I’m not shy about removing things that I’m not fond of. I generally keep them in the parts bin just in case I want to revisit it. I need to get a return that I think is worth the trade off for me to keep something on a firearm. I’m not one of those folks who loads a gun up just to have lots of stuff on it to make others think I’m an “operator”. I didn’t do that when I was capable. Anything added needs to pay it’s way. It’s humped, esp’ as a civilian, far more than it’s fired.

6 Likes

Copy that. He wants the choke for the buck. He shoots rifled slugs now.

4 Likes

lol Thanks for the offer. He already bought it. He’s had it completely tore down at least twice that I know of, and marred a couple of parts messing with it, and had to buy new ones.

All in all he’s pretty happy with it so far.

4 Likes

I didn’t vote on the poll because I have conflicting opinions.

In the long ago past, I would have said Remington 870. They were the ideal first shotgun. I still have mine. It wasn’t my first but it was the first I had capable of dropping a deer. Unfortunately, the quality control with Remington really started going out the window right before their bankruptcy and eventual liquidation. I don’t know if the new owners are making 870s again or what the quality is like if they are.

Mossberg is a good choice. My grandfather owned a couple.

Now, Benelli… I have been drooling over those guns for years. Especially when they came out with the 25 round magazine for the semi auto. WAY out of my price range though. Granted, the magazine I’m referring to isn’t made by Benelli but it sure makes for one mean shotgun.

If you want to go semi auto, I would suggest finding a used Browning Auto 5 in 12 gauge. They can be found relatively inexpensively and are amazing guns. I had my grandfather’s but traded it to my uncle to get my brother’s S&W 686 back. I miss it but I already have a couple of Grandpa’s guns and I really wanted my brother’s gun back.

So many choices… So little cash. :frowning_face:

6 Likes

Those old Browning round knobs are fantastic shotguns, I have four of them. but he wanted something more defensive. It would all boil down to his liking, whether he preferred the older original shotgun look or the modern AR type guns. i don’t wanna get shot by either.

4 Likes

Function and training matters more to me than looks. That probably means a more modern design with lighter materials?

6 Likes

For what it’s worth, when I’m investigating bumps in the night, I grab the Maverick pump to augment the CZ.

4 Likes