What three 5.56 rounds does to your body

If you get shot not if you insert them in your body or eat them.

3 Likes

Guess Smithsonian never heard of Paul Harrell

6 Likes

Exactly, crayons are for eating!

4 Likes
1 Like

I was a lead paint kinda kid…

2 Likes

Absolutely never want to get hit with 5.56/.223.

From my personal studies in terminal ballistics (shooting coyotes) anything under 100 yards pretty much turns them inside out with a good hit.
100-200 yards is a good kill with correct shot placement…anything over 200 is a crapshoot unless you can punch out the grey matter.

I hunt with 55gn Hornady SPs at 3240 fps.

4 Likes

meat target

3 Likes

Despite what some may say, .223/5.56 is a devastating round despite it’s size. I have killed many predators and such with .223 FMJ’s that was a one shot kill.

4 Likes

I have not watched all of Paul Harrell’s videos. What is his opinion on this?

3 Likes

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2010/07/19/in-defense-of-the-5-56mm-nato-round/

2 Likes

https://www.sadefensejournal.com/wp/?p=769

2 Likes
2 Likes
2 Likes

With the right ammo the m4/AR platform is plenty lethal out to 600+ yards. Just look at the SPR concept, its basically just a medium/ long distance 5.56 AR. @RetPara has shared pics of game his friend (s) have taken with an SPR AR. I dont think its an ideal long range caliber but still seems decent. I

2 Likes

Sacrilege. Shame on you. His videos are great.

4 Likes

From what ive seen I agree 100%

1 Like

With the right ammo the m4/AR platform is plenty lethal out to 600+ yards. Just look at the SPR concept, its basically just a medium/ long distance 5.56 AR. @RetPara has shared pics of game his friend (s) have taken with an SPR AR. I dont think its an ideal long range caliber but still seems decent.

http://enacademic.com/dic.nsf/enwiki/11755283

From the article:

" The Mk 262 is a match quality round manufactured by Black Hills Ammunition made originally for the Special Purpose Rifle (SPR). It uses a 77-grain (5.0 g) bullet that is more effective at longer ranges than the standard issue M855 round.

Two versions of the round have been procured to date. Initial production runs, designated Mark 262 Mod 0, lacked a cannelure. Subsequent production, designated Mk 262 Mod 1, added a cannelure to the bullet for effective crimping.

According to US DoD sources, the Mk 262 round is capable of making kills at 700 meters. Ballistics tests found that the round caused “consistent initial yaw in soft tissue” at more than 300 meters. Apparently it is superior to the standard M855 round when fired from an M4 or M16 rifle. It evidently possesses superior stopping power, and can allow for engagements to be extended to up to 700 meters. It appears that this round can drastically improve the performance of any AR15 platform weapon chambered to .223/5.56 mm. Superior accuracy, wounding capacity, stopping power and range power has made this the preferred round of many Special Forces operators, and highly desirable as a replacement for the older, Belgian-designed 5.56×45mm M855 NATO round. "

3 Likes
6 Likes

Just the video i was about to go get.

2 Likes

I’m always sceptical of military reports on anything lol…However I am definitely respectful of your friends experiences hunting and using those rounds. I personally have not had the opportunity to shoot a coyote beyond 250 yards down in my area…very hard to find spots like that. I have nailed two yotes at 225-250 yard distances with excellent vital zone hits that have passed through without expanding and (in my opinion) not enough hydrostatic shock to do serious enough damage to kill them. I’ve had to track them down and dispatch them afterwards.
That’s my personal experience…it is limited, and obviously not the be-all end-all to everything 5.56.

1 Like