What would still work after an EMP attack?

Makes you wonder, doesn’t it?
I’m not a conspiracy theorist…but if I was…

4 Likes

It’s always possible to get fuel out of gas station tanks with a hand or battery operated pump.
Just use the same access as the tankers use to fill them.
It’s doing it the hard way but better than riding a mule.
Assuming the cars are still operating.

5 Likes

My HUMVEE will still run, and I have a pump system that I can pull fuel out of underground tanks.
While there is a lot of talk on EMPs… and there should be, the lack of talk on our power grid is crazy.
30 years ago my father talked about that. Take out dams, power stations, etc. We are sitting ducks…
Off topic, but just imagine some nut job or group of nuts running around lighting off fires.

7 Likes

Is there a way to EMP proof a vehicle? Would it take out starter coils? Or solenoids?

5 Likes

Modern cars are probably all baked but, I would wager my old 40’s ford could be up and running fairly quickly.

5 Likes

Just found this. Haven’t read it all yet but seems interesting

http://www.empcommission.org/docs/A2473-EMP_Commission-7MB.pdf

3 Likes

Yep. Buy one of these. This is my First Gen Dodge Cummins…zero computers.

11 Likes

never before appreciated a dodge truck until I got into diesels

now I see a nice looking truck, before I thought they were fugly

and I never got into diesels until they put turbo’s on them :grin:

I know the IDI was non computer and turbo, (some) how about that dodge, turbo or NA?

I actualy did buy a new dodge (aka ram) a few years back, ecodiesel, after a new ford 6.7, what I learned is to stick with old diesels

shopping for one now, any deals in your area? (4x4)

5 Likes

I’m hoping my Vanagon will still run, my plan is to have my extra distributor in a faraday cage with a coil and maybe an extra alternator too. Don’t know if the starter would burn out? Any one else know? Computer already gone and it’s carbed instead of efi.

6 Likes

Same here. The 1st Gen Dodge Cummins is very easy to maintain, gets great MPG, and runs forever like an old Russian AK.

They are still fugly, but I say that with affection now. :rofl:

My Dodge is a 1991.5 model with turbo and intercooler

There are no good deals in Michigan…any truck that you find will be a rusty nightmare. I would recommend searching in southern or western states.

6 Likes

just blanket your engine compartment

8 Likes

Yea…seems s little snake oil-ish

5 Likes

lol, nope, I bought more than that, tested it, works, blocks RF

7 Likes
6 Likes

if the EMP strike was strong enough to disable your modern vehicle - you have far worse things to worry about such as flash or blast.
We suffer far stronger EMP events strikes every day than man can produce and your car still starts.

8 Likes

Starter should be fine, no circuitry. Solenoid has 2 internal coils consisting of wound copper wire. Alternators are fucked, computer chips run the regulators. Old generator with a mechanical regulator will be fine, like a solenoid, just copper wire

6 Likes

Where they’re all covered in duct tape :rofl:

7 Likes

Dixie also likes to keep the bloodine pure…those types of fluids prolly dont come out of the seats without a match and gas.

5 Likes

Thank very much, A regulator for my alternator will be easier yo have an extra than a complete alternator.

5 Likes

OOOHHHHHH…I want. man that’s sweet

8 Likes