What's In Your Kit?

6 Likes

Um, I have an old bandaid from maybe 8 years ago and a pair of fingernail clippers floating around in my console of my Yukon. Does that count?

Maybe I should put a kit together.

2 Likes

definitely better than nothing. i too have finger nail clippers in my range bag, not in the med bag but that isn’t a bad idea. as for the bandaids… yeah, probably time for some new ones just to be sure.

2 Likes

Mine stays in my “walking home” pack and naturally is MUCH smaller, but has a lot of what he talks about. The major missing supply is clotting gauze. Cortisone cream for itching and a tooth brush.

1 Like

i use calamine not cortisone… do not not do pretty much the same thing? (serious question). you are not the first to mention the clotting thing, probably should add, would be a very extreme situation to be needed but that is sort of the point. i totally don’t get the tooth brush, so you are going to have to explain that one to me.

1 Like

This looks handy. It’s rather limited, but easy to carry around.

1 Like

Not the same thing. Calamine works by drying the area. Good for poison oak or such ailments that produce itchy, fluid filled bumps. Cortisone is an anti inflammatory medicine, good for most skin ailments from almost any problem. Even hives from an allergic reaction.

4 Likes

good info! most of what we deal with is poison oak or poison ivy

3 Likes

All Calamine does is keep the area dry. Yes, I know the best thing for the rash of poison ivy or oak is to keep it cool and dry. In cajun country that’s almost impossible unless it is winter time. The cortisone cream stops the itch and seems to actually heal some.
Now red bugs or chiggers is another thing altogether. I used to use cortisone on them till I realized I was putting steroids on the little bastards. That made them stronger and the itch lasted about two weeks. Now I put Dr. Titchner’s on them in a heavy soaking application. That seems to kill the little devils and in about two days they are gone.

4 Likes

nice tip!

1 Like

For most things a combo of cortisone and lidocaine will take care of the itch and inflammation. I think there’s combination creams available OTC.

2 Likes

lidocaine i have, so may need to pick up a cortisone cream of some sorts… along with a few other things suggested here and there in comments.

2 Likes

Good video and conversation. About contents I would need a inventory list or labels to remember where it’s all at as well as dates for meds and creams as most have expiration dates.

2 Likes

yep, everything must be re stocked occasionally.

1 Like

Definitely want to keep an eye on the antibiotics. Those things go bad quick when they are not used. At work, every truck has a first aid kit. Got all new kits for all the trucks and all of them came with expired antibiotics. Really frustrating when you are buying in bulk.

1 Like

wow, i can imagine that it frustrating,. so questions… i have eaten foods far past their expiration dates and we have even dry canned foods the same way… back when wife was doing the extreme coupon thing. so we found foods go way past the date on the package in most cases, technically speaking, are medications the same? also, i have a friend that stocks up on horse and cattle medications, yeah, seriously and that dude takes them too. he says other than potentially more trace elements in them compared to human medicines, they are essentially the same. now this is not something i would consider right now… but in a shtf scenario, what does anyone think about this idea?

1 Like

This is something I have wondered as well. It’s like an expiration date on water. Is it real? I know that some aid to Africa is expired medication. So it must in some cases be okay??

1 Like

You’d be surprised how long some medications/shelf life actually last. https://www.asgmag.com/survival-skills/drug-expiration-dates-and-survival/

2 Likes

yup, by my research… at least with foods, those are a MINIMUM (for lawsuit purposes) at which things can start to go south, particularly if the products are not stored well. therefore, proper storage can extend the life of those products in a major way. heck, i eat a jar of dry canned Cherrios nearly every night. They were months old when we canned them and some have canning dates that are 5 years old at this point… still taste great.:slight_smile:i would venture a guess that medicines and other things are probably the same way. as for the water expiration dates, well i have been told that at some point, particularly if kept in a very warm environment and with lots of sun exposure, the water can absorb chemicals from the plastic bottle… sort of a molecular things (i am no scientist here). It all makes sense and boils down to proper storage in my opinion.

2 Likes