What's the fastest car for daily driving you've owned?

Wow, a whole lotta coin in that Bonnie!
:hushed: :metal:

5 Likes

That’s a fantastic color @Tactical_Reviews.

5 Likes

I had an '86 5 speed with 2.73 gears. Top of 4th(not enough torque to pull 5th except on perfectly flat ground with a tail wind) was 144mph stock. Coming down Monteagle out of Georgia toward Tennessee I managed to nearly redline 5th. My speedo only went to 120, but by the math I was doing near 180mph. Cooked brand new brakes at all 4 wheels by the bottom.

After the car was modified(twin turbo 331 stroker, adapted powerglide, cage, ridiculous suspension mods) it ran low 10’s in the quarter on pump gas with mild boost. I could have filled it with race fuel and turned up the boost(which I did off the track once in a while) but my cage wasn’t certified for faster than 10.0. Yes, the car WAS indeed daily driven to work/groceries/etc.

I swapped a stock 5.0 into my YJ Wrangler. While it wasn’t ‘fast’, it was quick as H3!!. It would even chirp the tires into 3rd if you I shifted aggressively.

I rebuilt the 5.2 in my ZJ Grand Cherokee to a 348 stroker and a few other mods. Even at nearly 4K lbs, between the 300+ HP and full time 4wd, it surprised a heck of a lot of ‘sport car’ owners.

4 Likes

My ‘19 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk V8 surprises a ton of “sports cars” owner as well. I took an SS Camaro up to 50. The look on the kids face was priceless. That launch is ridiculous in the Trailhawk, 100% traction and no wheelspin. I need to fix the exhaust for the wife (video below). Got some Borla mufflers sittin here waiting for an install. Hopefully that will get rid of that WOT rasp…

I need to record my new ‘18 Charger R/T’s take off. The exhaust sounds brilliant. I’m gonna mod the shit outta this Charger once the warranty is up in ~2500 miles.

Pics? Love me some Foxbodies.

3 Likes

Sadly no. It was an '86 Notch with the GT nose/side molding, 87+ quarter windows and rear spoiler from a convertible. I was rolling on Weld Draglites with 275-60-15 Hoosier Quick Time DOT’s out back and 165-15 Beetle tires up front.

I built it back in the pre-social media days when people were still using film to take photos(mid 90’s). I had some great shots of it at Island Dragway, Englishtown and Atco, including a few hanging the front wheels and 1 sideways mid track when I slipped out of the groove. Hurricane Sandy came through and took it all away(the photos, not the car, that was stolen). I’m always on the lookout for another 85-86 roller or unmolested original. I’ve got a 351C sitting in the garage that needs a home.

Pics of my 5.0 Wrangler swap are probably on some of the 4x4 forums if I look hard enough. More importantly, I should really dig through my parents stuff and see if they still have photos of my '71 SS Camaro.

4 Likes

LOL, sounds like my photo history,

I see you comment on the videos

please, invite people in

you can make easy attractive links using this format

[you can make easy attractive links using this format]( https://forum.full30.com/)

and if you use the link button it will put your user ID in the post

link

and we may pick back up on the competition at some point

3 Likes

Dude that’s a bummer. Pics of my 3000GT VR-4 are on film too. I have two pictures somewhere I scanned…

Notches are the best Fox Mustangs in my opinion. My buddy had a white ‘93 notch. Always wanted to turn a notch in to a teal ‘93 Cobra pseudo look-a-like with the proper engine.

4 Likes

It says No JZ for me.

3 Likes

The 2JZ GTE powered car is actually the second generation Supra. Despite all the internet evidence produced the USA to the contrary. All the cars before it were the Celica. And the high end (that is what Supra means) car was the inspiration for a new stand alone model that debuted in Jan of 1986.

2 Likes

Thank you! You shoulda heard some of the shit these heathen people were guessing! :astonished: (kidding)

2 Likes

I have the Motor Trend top speed shoot out. The one I am thinking of in the desert was 1988. Maybe I will post the scans.

3 Likes

the Lotus they had blew up.
Goes without saying.

They wised up and started using Camry engines some time later.

1 Like

Passed me couple weeks ago like I was standing still.
My friends neighbor’s kid is the driver.

Don’t let loved ones ride with azzwholes.

4 Likes

for those who think they had/have a fast car…

4 Likes

MY ALL TIME FAVORITE HOTROD! In '66 at Sebring the 289 cid GT40 topped out at 212mph. The later versions of the GT40 got a 325 cid engine then the MKII got the first 427 cid that also went into the MKIVs All but the the '65 289 powered model won at LeMans.

5 Likes

How in the hell?

Pantera wouldn’t even do that ( I don’t think)

3 Likes

The GT40 was actually lighter(2600lb vs 3200) and sleeker. Not to mention that particular 289 was no mere hopped up Mustang motor(390HP to the Pantera’s 331HP).

4 Likes

I’ve had customers with Panteras they are no where near the quality of a GT40. The Panteras are 351 Cleveland powered RATTLE TRAPS.

3 Likes

Both sexy cars, don’t imagine I’d fit in either

but that’s ok, I’ll stick with my oil burners :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

I don’t think most do. But some certainly did.

3 Likes