What's your plan?

Were they shuffling around asking for brains?

Straight from the CDC’s website;

Better Safe than Sorry

So what do you need to do before zombies…or hurricanes or pandemics for example, actually happen?

First of all, you should have an emergency kit in your house. This includes things like water, food, and other supplies to get you through the first couple of days before you can locate a zombie-free refugee camp (or in the event of a natural disaster, it will buy you some time until you are able to make your way to an evacuation shelter or utility lines are restored). Below are a few items you should include in your kit, for a full list visit the CDC Emergency page.

• Water (1 gallon per person per day)
  • Food (stock up on non-perishable items that you eat regularly)
  • Medications (this includes prescription and non-prescription meds)
  • Tools and Supplies (utility knife, duct tape, battery powered radio, etc.)
  • Sanitation and Hygiene (household bleach, soap, towels, etc.)
  • Clothing and Bedding (a change of clothes for each family member and blankets)
  • Important documents (copies of your driver’s license, passport, and birth certificate to name a few)
  • First Aid supplies (although you’re a goner if a zombie bites you, you can use these supplies to treat basic cuts and lacerations that you might get during a tornado or hurricane)

Once you’ve made your emergency kit, you should sit down with your family and come up with an emergency plan. This includes where you would go and who you would call if zombies started appearing outside your door step. You can also implement this plan if there is a flood, earthquake, or other emergency.

• Family members meeting by their mailbox. You should pick two meeting places, one close to your home and farther away.
  • Identify the types of emergencies that are possible in your area. Besides a zombie apocalypse, this may include floods, tornadoes, or earthquakes. If you are unsure contact your local Red Cross chapter for more information.
  • Pick a meeting place for your family to regroup in case zombies invade your home…or your town evacuates because of a hurricane. Pick one place right outside your home for sudden emergencies and one place outside of your neighborhood in case you are unable to return home right away.
  • Identify your emergency contacts. Make a list of local contacts like the police, fire department, and your local zombie response team. Also identify an out-of-state contact that you can call during an emergency to let the rest of your family know you are ok.
  • Plan your evacuation route. When zombies are hungry they won’t stop until they get food (i.e., brains), which means you need to get out of town fast! Plan where you would go and multiple routes you would take ahead of time so that the flesh eaters don’t have a chance! This is also helpful when natural disasters strike and you have to take shelter fast.

Never Fear – CDC is Ready

Get a Kit, Make a Plan, Be Prepared

If zombies did start roaming the streets, CDC would conduct an investigation much like any other disease outbreak. CDC would provide technical assistance to cities, states, or international partners dealing with a zombie infestation. This assistance might include consultation, lab testing and analysis, patient management and care, tracking of contacts, and infection control (including isolation and quarantine). It’s likely that an investigation of this scenario would seek to accomplish several goals: determine the cause of the illness, the source of the infection/virus/toxin, learn how it is transmitted and how readily it is spread, how to break the cycle of transmission and thus prevent further cases, and how patients can best be treated. Not only would scientists be working to identify the cause and cure of the zombie outbreak, but CDC and other federal agencies would send medical teams and first responders to help those in affected areas (I will be volunteering the young nameless disease detectives for the field work).

To learn more about what CDC does to prepare for and respond to emergencies of all kinds, visit:
http://emergency.cdc.gov/cdc/orgs_progs.asp

To learn more about how you can prepare for and stay safe during an emergency visit:
http://emergency.cdc.gov/

Source:
https://blogs.cdc.gov/publichealthmatters/2011/05/preparedness-101-zombie-apocalypse/

Great post! Good links
Just don’t count on much government - see how the New Orleans PD ran off?
8 yrs of obozo stuffing the agencies with POS? Yeah they’ll stay and help :rofl::rofl::rofl:
I worked a 'zombie" zone AKA demoncrap run to ruin s***hole.
They WILL come when they get hungry and cold.
They are armed and EXTREMELY violent.

No need for an imaginary zombie situation.
Change it to hurricane or flooding and it becomes a real possibility.

Whatever floats your boat!

It can be any type of a catastrophic situation. Glad you contributed a solid suggestion for survival, thanks!

Please feel free to add more recommendations for surviving an emergency event of most any kind.

Thank you to all those that have contributed with valid suggestions already! Appreciate it!

#1: Storing Water

Water

Fact: Your body is made up of 60 percent water. Even losing a small amount without being able to replenish it can quickly become dangerous.

#2: Storing Food

Food

Compared to water storage, this survival law is far simpler and easier. You don’t have to store as much food as much as you need to stock up on water. In addition, the process of preparation in storing food is not as demanding. The trick is to just buy more of the usual food in your pantry.

Survival Skill #3: Having Medical Supplies and Basic Medical Skills

First%20Aid

Everyone must have a first aid kit in their supplies. But there’s also one more important factor to this survival law which is the four basic medical skills. Without the following 4 skills, your kit would be useless.

Creating an Open Airway and Confirming a Heartbeat

You need to know if the person’s heart is still beating and that he or she is breathing. If you think CPR is necessary then perform it.

A tourniquet will be the best solution in case there is heavy bleeding or trauma. A RATS tourniquet is one such medical tool and it is easy to put on with just one hand. An Israeli bandage or Quickclot combat gauze can also do the job. Add these to your first aid kit because they have plenty of uses. You never know when you’ll need them. They can save a life in times of disaster or emergency, maybe even yours.

Treating Minor Wounds

When you or a loved one suffers a minor wound, use a bandage and apply pressure on the affected area for about 10 minutes. The pressure and the bandage will work together to form a clot, stopping or minimizing the bleeding as a result. Make it a point to use running water to clean the wound, then dress it in sterile gauze, bandage, or band-aids. Hygienic treatment is crucial to avoid worsening the scrape or cut. Otherwise, the wound can become a major injury. If you think the wound does not need stitching or hospitalization, you can stop infection with an antibiotic like Neosporin.

Treating Shock

Shock is experienced when your body does not get enough oxygen. This condition could lead to injury or illness, making immediate treatment crucial. A simple loss of body fluids may cause serious, irreversible damage to the body. Therefore, as part of prepping, make sure you have plenty of clean water to drink.

Shock can also be caused by heart disease, sudden intense emotions, intolerable pain, extreme fear, prolonged inactivity, unpleasant experience, and many others. Avoid or deal with these causes as much as possible.

If you observe shock in a family member or loved one, increase the blood flow to the heart, which can be done by elevating the feet.

Handling Broken Bones

Treating broken bones can be difficult and risky. When SHTF, paramedics may not be around. This is precisely the reason it is important to invest in first aid training. Do not move the person unless you know which part of their body is broken.

Learning these basic life skills is important. You never know when you need them, so take the time to learn and commit them to memory. Proper training will not only get you a certificate but also an assurance that you will know what to do when someone gets hurt

#4: Having Cash on Hand

Money

Having extra funds is just as important as the other survival laws on this list. When everything collapses, you still need to buy food, water, medicine, and even gas for your car.
Make sure you have enough cash on hand to get you and your family through a week, at least. ATMs and even the internet can go down, so you can’t depend on credit cards.

#5: Being Able to Secure your Home or Family

Security

On any ordinary day, people go on with their lives without even noticing what is happening around them. They are generally nice and polite to one another. This situation may change when a disaster takes place. When supplies run out, people get hungry and desperate.

In the aftermath, law and order go out the window. You may no longer rely on law enforcers to keep the peace or deal with an intruder. Things will definitely get out of control. These conditions only mean one thing: you are left to your own devices.

It is every man for himself and in a lawless society, you need to defend your life and those of your loved ones against intruders who want what you have. You must defend your home, life, and property from these bad elements.

A confrontation is the last thing on your mind, but when cornered, you have to be ready to fight. Just like your first aid and medical skills, it is important to learn how to use a firearm responsibly and properly. Having a pistol, a rifle, and a shotgun will not be enough. You have to know how to use a gun, shoot with precision, and maintain it.

After your firearms training, you’ll be more proficient and most of all confident that if and when the need arises, you are able to provide safety and security to your home and family.

#6: Being Ready to Bug Out

Make sure you’re ready to bug out. Leaving the safety, security, and supplies at home is not an easy thing to do. You and your family will have to go into a real survival scenario. No matter how difficult the future might seem, bugging out could be the only way for you to stay alive. This is the time when your survival skills will be put to the test.

As preppers, we need to learn all the survival skills that we can before any disaster comes. From the basic to the high-level ones, you will not regret all the time, money and effort spent trying to learn them all. If possible, have your loved ones or family members get survival training as well.

The simplest way to make life easier if and when you bug out is to have a go bag. It contains necessary tools and materials to help you get through 3 days of wilderness survival. Try to prepare a bug out bags for each member of the family. Then you can rest easy knowing that you’re prepared for emergencies.

I read over that quickly, but did you miss whiskey and diesel fuel?

Speaking of water, it’s clean safe water that is needed.
Contaminated water has probably killed more people than invading armies.
Just a thought.
Also check out the Israeli trauma bandage.
A slick way to deal with those injuries in the wilderness.

After reading all of this, I gotta prepare a 3-day pack or something. Maybe it’s time to finally stock some MREs. Storing water in the northeast can be a bit trickier. Does anyone have any solution for storing drinking water in cold to below freezing temperatures? You can only eat so much snow before you get the yellow stuff.

Hah!!! That shits funny. Thanks for the laugh brother. I needed it.

let it freeze - the amount of energy you will use to keep from freezing is less than you would use to thaw/ Makes quite easy to carry/store and you do not need a container…

Flexible containers can be used to secure frozen water.
Leaving the top loose or off helps, too.
No big deal.

I load up the bugout vehicle, including bikes in case of road blocks or obstructions. I head for my bugout house. Easy, short trip in the vehicle, but a couple of days if by bike or on foot. Once I get there, I’m ready to rock. For a while. After that comes finding out what’s going on, and making a plan for the next step. You’re never too prepared, but I can at least say I’ve worked on it, and at the start, it won’t be bad. I have association with an organized group that I can rally with in the first couple of days.

Stockpile your food, water, guns, ammo, medical supplies and necessary tools and equipment, items that can be bartered, maybe gold and silver for trade. Have enough cash so you might be able to buy gas or something if needed. Do all of that now, or you will be suffering later. None of this should be news to any prepper, only procrastinators.

So all this talk got me looking again at remote properties in a number of state. Was looking at Idaho when I came upon this ominously titled video. Top 10 Reasons Not to Move to Idaho. So I watched it. At the end I was sold that Idaho may be my favorite state.

For your amusement I offer the following:

Ok I’m sold on Idaho!

I lived in Montana back in the late 80’s, I had to travel further west on a few different occasions for work reasons.

I agree that some of the roads and the weather was a bit tricky, however I found the state to be very beautiful with plenty of wilderness scenery. I personally love the Northwest states, especially Montana, Wyoming and the Dakotas!

appears to me to have a serious lack of trees for my taste,

now the video

WTF is wrong with this picture in the video

one thing that in its favor is its the birthplace for

I live like 2 -3 hours out of Idaho. I like the place but Boise is a liberal cess pool. Idaho has constitutional carry too.