Wheel Gun dilemma

first off we need a revolver section

Since I am a poor Canadian Gun Owner who isn’t getting raped on ammo prices, but can not afford the Colt Snake Guns (old and maybe new)

Do I buy a Dan Wesson Model 15-2

Or a Smith and Wesson 586-2

both being the same price

modern wheel guns is a new venue for me consider all the other ones I have a 80 years or older.

17 Likes

I like S&Ws better than Colts anyway.

15 Likes

am also on the hunt for the S&W M27/28 but I draw the line at anything with a Hillary Hole and intend on avoiding anything stainless for now…

14 Likes

I like the Dan Wesson. You can pick up more barrels for that one.

15 Likes

Can’t go wrong with either one!

With that being said, I think I’d go with the Dan Wesson…love the looks of that beast!

Either way, I bet you’ll end up with something named Wesson :sunglasses:

15 Likes

I have to agree you can not do wrong with either choices, I have both and still can not decide which one I like best to shoot.
With the Dan Wesson you have more options with 1 Revolver vs the Smith & Wesson. And you will always have the debate of which is better the Ford or the Chevy.

14 Likes

I don’t know about the first one but I really like my sons 686. I’m guessing it’s just a stainless version of the 586

12 Likes

Buy both and then you can take all the time you need to decide which one you like best.

9 Likes

I am leaning that way.
hoping the the DW comes with the barrel tool - than I start easter egg hunting for barrels.

12 Likes

Check GunBroker and eBay you will find all you need.

10 Likes

I had both, liked them both. I like the idea of getting both and deciding later which one to keep. Or keep both. The DW never really fit me so I sold it. Tiny hands.

11 Likes

well one has made it home

was a little more than what I wanted to pay but it has led a pampered life
S&W 586 - 3 and no Hilleary Hole

10 Likes

Very nice :star_struck:

7 Likes

ended up with a S&W Model 28 (mod28) and according to it’s serial is only a couple months younger than me (so much for buying modern wheel guns)

came with 6 speed loaders and this frame seems to fit my hand better, seems to have a better DA/lighter SA than the 586 (however have new grips in the mail for that one and the DA/SA is nothing to scoff at.).

now the 29-2 with a six inch barrel If I can get it at a good price.

11 Likes

I noticed the sight alignment, sight picture sketch. I’ve drawn it a few times, too. :+1:
Why a 29-2, as opposed to maybe a -5 or -6?

9 Likes

Putting that money from your last job to good use I see.

8 Likes

first off hillary hole

and something about old iron vrs new steel, plus the - 2 is available and a decent price.

8 Likes

Yeah, I don’t like that feature either, however, for the Model 29, Smith and Wesson added the lock starting wth the -8. The -5’s and -6’s have upgrades that are supposed to make them more durable, especially with hot loads. The -7’s have MIM parts that some people don’t like. I had a
29-3 that allowed the cylinder to unlock and rotate to the previously fired position when shooting some of the hot factory loads.
The -2’s are desirable because of the recessed chambers and pinned barrels, of course but, for shooters, the later 29’s might be a better choice.
Just my opinion, for what it’s worth.

8 Likes

@Festus ,et al

The 586 is shaped a little different from the 686. The 686 is a stainless steel gun. However, it looks like that 586 you are sharing with us is an older model. It has the firing pin attached to the hammer. Newer models have floating firing pins that are not attached to the hammer. If you can, go with the newer model 686 (or 586).

I don’t know about Dan Wesson guns first hand, but I do hear good things about them.

So, personally, between the two, I would go with a Smith & Wesson. On the other hand, if you can get a Ruger GP100 or even one of their Blackhawks, that would be (in my opinion), even better.

9 Likes