When will police stop?

1.) Police failed to identify.
2.) Police SHOULD defend themselves. This is more akin to taking an offensive position.
3.) There are almost no situations made better by contacting Police.
4.) If you are mad about the above remember, the cop then falsified his report to attempt to make himself look innocent.
5.) The police have stopped respecting the sanctity of life. We need ROE’s that protect the local populace better.

7 Likes

This is where the bulk of the problem is. I may have unpopular opinion here but EVERYONE is fair game unless you identify and deescalate ESPECIALLY if you are approaching a home. And if you’re LE you have a duty to do so, period. If not the homeowner is absolved of any responsibility for defending their family and their life. LE gets way too much benefit of the doubt in THIS type of scenario.

I will say in my opinion the homeowner’s problem was a) being seen and b) not retreating to a defensive position once it was clear the threat (in this case the unidentified deputy) was pointing his weapon / flashlight at him. He should of at that point called 911 to verify if that was LE outside so he can disarm.

On to another more dangerous scenario, if someone or some people break down your door armed and wearing armor how do you know it isn’t a home invasion or well geared up thieves? It isn’t hard to get armor. It also isn’t that hard for these invaders to yell out “police!” even if they are not to get you to hesitate thus costing you your life. Apparently everyone in LE and the government forgot they all serve us the people and LE’s JOB is to protect its citizens and that included this home owner.

I don’t like these LEO’s playing military. As a home owner call my house first then knock on the door second making sure to have at least two units outside with blues and twos on so I can see it isn’t a hoax. I respect LE, however I am NOT a fan of what happened here and the aforementioned scenario of them playing military and doing so as a FIRST option.

8 Likes

Every profession has it’s failures. It’s not the PD majority by far.
Working inside the rat holes for decades I saw who is the REAL problem.
LEO’s playing military?
Well they are policing war zones like Chicago Baltimore and 1000’s more zones of conflict.

4 Likes

You’re on your own getting ready for the Saucepan Riots.

“He remembered how once he had been walking down a crowded street when a tremendous shout of hundreds of voices–women’s voices–had burst from a side-street a little way ahead. It was a great formidable cry of anger and despair, a deep loud ‘Oh-o-o-o-oh!’ that went humming on like the reverberation of a bell. His heart had leapt. It’s started! he had thought. A riot! The proles are breaking loose at last! When he had reached the spot it was to see a mob of two or three hundred women crowding round the stalls of a street market, with faces as tragic as though they had been the doomed passengers on a sinking ship. But at this moment the general despair broke down into a multitude of individual quarrels. It appeared that one of the stalls had been selling tin saucepans. They were wretched, flimsy things, but cooking-pots of any kind were always difficult to get. Now the supply had unexpectedly given out.

The successful women, bumped and jostled by the rest, were trying to make off with their saucepans while dozens of others clamoured round the stall, accusing the stall-keeper of favouritism and of having more saucepans somewhere in reserve. There was a fresh outburst of yells. Two bloated women, one of them with her hair coming down, had got hold of the same saucepan and were trying to tear it out of one another’s hands. For a moment they were both tugging, and then the handle came off. Winston watched them disgustedly. And yet, just for a moment, what almost frightening power had sounded in that cry from only a few hundred throats! Why was it that they could never shout like that about anything that mattered?”
George Orwell, 1984

riot%20(2)

5 Likes

not one who is anti-cop but in this case the PO should be charged, not just internally but criminally. It appears that the vast majority of police have no over sight or requirements of due diligence with firearms use nor are they held to the same legal standards as a civilian.

4 Likes

What is that a picture of? A shield and some sort of baton? I can’t tell what the small thing is. I like the baton. Do you have a link for it?

1 Like

On sale!
https://www.galls.com/paulson-riot-shield-36-x-20-?PMSRCH=paulson%20shield

Back of shield, showing foam padding, arm strap and grip (with grip tape).

Also on sale!

Pepper spray:

Or,

5 Likes

Oh, I really like that. Thanks so much

5 Likes

Good stuff. Thanks for the links mate!

4 Likes

What was he thinking? He’s wearing a badge cam. How was he going to change the footage to match his story? Maybe he should be put on the Darwin Awards thread instead.

I’ve had cops come to my door on two seperate occasions. I don’t have a window or peep hole to identify, so both times, I have slightly opened my door holding my handgun. After I identify them, I tell them I am armed and give me a second to put my handgun away. Then I shut the door. There was never any issues. I am thankful this officer never showed up to my house.

5 Likes

No offense to good cops, but:

6 Likes

4 Likes

I’ve been on both sides…

I’m going to play devils advocate. Think of it from the officers perspective.

As a homeowner you never answer the door, always answer the window. But in this case there was nothing to answer yet as the cop never got to the door before the homeowner was the aggressor with the firearm. That’s what the cop saw and at that point he didn’t know who he was. There has never been a cop who could read anothers mind. I have yet to see a BG who can force way through a window and the firearm is easily kept out of sight. So answer the window. And for GODs sake, if you have a flashlight for surveillance don’t have it attached to the firearm. That would need to be a separate flashlight. What an accident waiting to happen and the officer walked right into it. It didn’t help that he falsified the report, but the mind does play tricks. The homeowner did answer the door (before arrival was even announced) even if he didn’t open it. Never answer the door, but go to a window and keep guns out of sight (Brandishing is a crime in lots of states).

Cops are sometimes literally under fire today and have that mentality in certain areas. We need to walk a mile in their shoes and try to survive the encounter from their perspective. They have no idea what they’re walking into. Its your life, either put yourself into the officers shoes or receive as this homeowner did from his ignorance of how it would be seen from outside. I’m betting it’s a high crime area and the officer knew it and so did the homeowner.

It’s just like EDC and being stopped by a cop. One proceeds at the officers discretion and not on ones own. The officer owns the scene if you want to survive it. I suggest slow safe moves putting yourself in the officers shoes here as well. Hands in sight, no firearm seen, communicate and only do what the officer says to do, then verify and explain your move. When an auto stop I have my hands on the wheel until asked for something and told I can retrieve it. I explain what I need to do before moving and wait for the OK. Different from the body cam, but similar, the officer responding wants to see a non confrontational scene or the adrenaline flows and the mind can play tricks on cops and us.

But back to the incident. Why didn’t the cop have the blues on and in sight to announce visually who he was? I think I would have, especially if it was a high crime area. But I don’t know the layout.

4 Likes

as with all short video clips and information presented the officer was in the wrong regardless of whose shoes he is in.
The home owner was heading to the door to investigate some suspicious activity in his yard. And at the point of observation of the gun the officer choose to shoot at the holder of the gun.
So by the report it was a medical call - should the officer be primed to fight?
If the alarm call was an criminal inclusion and the officer should be primed to fight but there is some ambiguity in what is presented.
The firearm wasn’t pointed from what is seen in the video but hard to judge but filing a false report to cover up what could have been a justifiable mistake becomes criminal.
There does seem to be a shoot first and let the DA sort it out mentality.

6 Likes

This is my point exactly. If you are That scared to die get your ass off the force. If you fully expect conflict. It will manifest.
I will always support the police but, more and more their members are becoming criminal.

3 Likes

Agree 1,000%!

4 Likes

Oh fudge that noise.
An unidentified man with a flashlight and a GUN is outside of your front door. If your action is too not be armed YOU are a dead man.
If you shoot that unidentified intruder even in SC by the by a state with castle doctrine and it turns out to be a cop you go to jail forever or die in the ensuing gun battle with 10 other cops who arrive to kill you.
This is a NO win for the man in the house. He is either armed to defend himself and gets popped by the police or disarmed and potentially gets popped by the raider.
Its time for the Catch 22 to end. Police need ROE for every encounter enough of this bullshit.

5 Likes

I’d really like to see an unedited version of this. There is no audio until after the shooting. I’d like to know what was said by the cop and possibly by the homeowner.
Looked to me like the gun was in the homeowners right hand and a flashlight in his left. Didn’t seem he pointed the gun at all. But hard to tell if I got that right from this vid.
It does seem to me the cop could have easily moved into concealment and waited for back up.
Cop looks way wrong to me on this one.

2 Likes

LEO could have easily backed off, waited for help to arrive and use a bullhorn if necessary to get person to open door and identify themselves. LEO was either itching to get a notch on his gun or as someone else said he was scared and reacted without thinking or following training…he should be held responsible and go to Prison if convicted.

3 Likes

The sheriff’s office originally said the homeowner pulled open the door and pointed a gun at the deputy, The State reports, but the video shows that was not the case.

When the officer goes back inside, the homeowner is on his knees in the doorway with a bullet wound, the video shows.

“What is wrong with you, man?” the homeowner pleads. A gun is allegedly on the floor nearby, the sheriff’s office says, but it’s not entirely clear from the video.

The deputy shot the man twice, the man says on the video.

Video shows the man saying he got his gun because he “saw lights” and “heard the doorbell ring.” The video also shows the deputy trying to put rubber gloves on to treat the homeowner he had just shot two minutes prior.

“Get the ambulance here. I’m going to die,” the unidentified homeowner says.

“Why did you do that?” the homeowner asks.

“You pointed a gun at me,” the deputy responds.

“You come to my house at 12 o’clock at night, I’m sleeping. I got to protect my house,”the homeowner says.

The deputy says he was responding to a panic alarm at the house. “We don’t even have an alarm,” the man is heard saying in the video.

Brown said the sheriff’s office later learned that the panic alarm came from a medical assist app on a resident’s phone, and was not a burglar alarm. There was no emergency response needed, he said.

The South Carolina Law Enforcement Division is investigating the incident. The deputy is on leave during the investigation, according to the sheriff’s office.

Read more here: https://www.kansascity.com/news/nation-world/national/article233259313.html#storylink=cpy

Fuker wanted a kill.

4 Likes