Where are the Primers and Bullets?

Since the start of the year, our phones have been ringing off the hook, asking almost the same two questions, ‘Do you have any [primers/bullets/ammo]?’, and then ‘When will you be getting [primers/bullets/ammo] back in stock?’.

Sure wish we had a good answer on those, but unfortunately we don’t. The easy supplies from last year are not available this year. As an example, our normal small order to one manufacturer for about 50,000 bullets we would order on Monday and it would be here on Friday. A larger order of maybe 450,000, we would order on the 1st of the month and about 2 or 3 weeks later it would show up. Today, not even close, a small order takes about a month to come in and the larger order, about 5 or 6 months.

As a Berrys distributor, we normally had a little over 150 types of bullets to choose from for our shelves. Today? We have a selection of 17 different bullets, just a few of the handgun sizes, and two of the rifle sizes. We normally don’t even know when supplies have been shipped until a truck backs in and we find out we have a suprise delivery.

For our take on the primers, you can read our website article on it.

Re-posted From US Reloading Supply Veterans Day 2020 Email Campaign

13 Likes

It’s only going to get worse. Hopefully most learned from the past and stocked up best as possible over the last few years.

12 Likes

I feel your pain Robert! It breaks my heart to tell someone who just bought their first gun that we don’t have ammo for it. I’d do anything for this drought to become a memory, fast.

14 Likes

I said it in one thread already but I say it here too. The cheapest I could find 30-30 ammo online was $4 a round. That’s $80 a box.

30-30 ammo for crying out loud. Not even a self defense gun.

12 Likes

:woozy_face:

8 Likes

Do you get any lube with that or was it dry .

8 Likes

if you want

How many

7 Likes

No lube. Inserted sideways. :grimacing:

7 Likes

Can we buy ammo from Canada?

7 Likes

if you could I would be making my first million just from Full30 alone

7 Likes

That’s a Canadian sure so I’m still up shut creek

7 Likes

@Joe, If you’re desperate for 30-30 ammo it’s high quality not cheap either, but a lot better than $80 a box :money_mouth_face:

8 Likes

Thanks bud

8 Likes

I didn’t realize how lucky I have been. Within the last few weeks I’ve scored a couple of thousand primers, a couple of thousand bullets, and three pounds of powder. Hopefully I’m good for a while. I went to Academy yesterday and they had almost nothing. I came away with a pair or pants. Oh well, better than empty handed.

9 Likes

I still have ready access to Aguila Minishells at pre-Covid prices. I’m actually thinking about buying the guy out. He told me they weren’t really moving and I should make him an offer. :thinking:

9 Likes

…or bare-assed. :laughing:

10 Likes

Yea, nobody wants to see that.

8 Likes

Im sorry , I have to disagree with what the Remington and Federal say, when Gas ir electric or propane or anything else gets in short supply pressure is placed by the consumer and then it is fixed . What we are seeing is a fix by the industry to create a false shortage . For any other product they would expand and increase productivity put people to work . Instead they are producing the same and leaving the hand loading community in the dirt. I scored a few hundred primers awhile back in the summer and since then havent seen a single box not even a single sleeve of 100. It is a total ripoff.wmWe need to start placing pressure on Remington and Federal, CCI etc… to get in gear and step up their game. You cant tell me at 25.00 for 100 primers thatvsomeone can not afford to put someone to work on a new assemby line they just simply arent doing it . IMHO

5 Likes

Why would they sell just components when they can sell every round of loaded ammo they can produce. They make more money on the loaded ammo.

4 Likes

Foreign makers are now importing, and even building plants here. There are 2 primer factories being built in the USA that I know of. As far as I know most of the plants are running full tilt. The ammo and gun sales in the USA continue at near record pace still. At some point production capacity may catch up with demand, but it doesn’t seem likely to be soon.

3 Likes