Where does the glass for optics come from?

Someone told me that almost none of the companies making optics use glass made in the USA. Supposedly the high end options (such as U.S. optics) are from Japan and the lower to mid tier options are mostly made in China.

Any truth to this? Seems weird that a brand will claim 100% American made when the most defining piece of thier product is made in Asia.

11 Likes

Use to be the best glass was Germany, but now Japan is made up their quality and is close to being on par.

11 Likes

Just wait til the buffoon idiot in charge puts all this taxes on big business and they will leave the US again after Trunmp got some of them back.

9 Likes

I’ve heard the same thing never researched it.

10 Likes

best glass has always been German - think back to Carl Ziess AG (even when there was a East and West), Japanese were a close second. But now Chinesium glass is now on par. Optical grade glass is just more refined - think of it like grades of steel. As a country moves towards craftmanship and value combining with quantity it leaves it’s agrarian good / just enough thinking behind.

5 Likes

I hear the Phillipines is pumping out good glass too now of days. German anything is usually very high quality , over built and over priced for what it is,that goes for optics, guns, cars, watches or most anything really. German beer sucks though.

4 Likes

Yeah but its not Chinese… :wink:

4 Likes

Is Chinese beer good?

3 Likes

:face_vomiting:

I don’t drink any more, but when I did I never liked IPAs. Can’t imagine that beer made with rice, by prisoners is an improvement. In Germany you have enough varieties and types you can find something that you like. Pilsners were pretty good.

You probably would like the Bavarian Radler…

3 Likes