Which bolt action rifle is good for beginner long range shooter?

Exactly. I’ve heard that as well.

I’m rather keen on this Savage myself. I hope to get one at some point. And it has a 10rd mag so you’re good to go. Not a bolt gun but a fantastic rifle for the price.

https://www.savagearms.com/firearms/model/A17

1 Like

Go ruger,10-22 everyone should have one.!after that ruger american6.5 is nice free float for the money too start out that should keep you busy without makeing you broke
Be advised gun are addictive(ive the sickness)and youll get it to!:grin::grin::grin::grin::grin::grin::grin:

2 Likes

I’d highly recommend a Savage in 308. If possible, get one with a threaded barrel so you can add a brake if you don’t like the recoil. I suggest the .308 since there is probably more easily accessible data, ammo, reloading components for long range shooting than just about any other caliber out there. It’s also easy to find scopes with BDC reticles that match the round, and at an affordable price.

3 Likes

I was going to disagree with that until i read his post above yours. Definitely! Ammo is cheap, recoil is low, its fun to shoot, and pretty accurate with good ammo through a bolt gun.

4 Likes

If I had a need for such guns I wouldn’t mind owning this very rig myself. Being a bolt action rifle it’s much more accurate than any AK or AK derivative. It’s also well within OP’s budget. He’d only have to save up some cash for mentioned glass. No point in going and higher end than an ACOG on this particular rifle. His next step in the process would be an 800m 308 with a true sniper optic. Something Swarovski, Schmidt & Bender or US Optics.

2 Likes

Last December, I purchased a Savage Arms Axis WIN .308 XL Rifle. The purchase came with a $100.00 rebate, which made it very affordable ($229.00). Last month, I completed my rifle build and I’m very satisfied in how it performs and turned out. I intend on doing another Savage Arms rifle build in the near future and I’ll share that one when I’m completed with it.

Coyote Colored Boyds ‘At-One’ stock with Oversized Target Palm Handle & Forearm Grip, Boyd’s Steel Trigger Guard and ‘V3 Precision’ Magazine Catch Plate. I glass & pillar bedded the action to the stock along with bedding Boyds new Steel Trigger Guard to make it perfectly flush with the stock. I documented the stock upgrade process and shared it for anyone interested (_https://view.publitas.com/wildlifeohio/pulled-the-trigger/_)

• SightMark Core SX 10-40x56 Riflescope w/ 4" Sunshade & Butler Creek Scope Covers
  • Weaver Tactical 6 Hole Low Profile 30mm Rings attached to Weaver 20 MOA Base Rail
  • Timney Trigger polished and set to a crisp 2lbs.
  • 10 Round Extended Capacity Magazine
  • Glades Armory Bolt Handle
  • Witt Machine Slip-on Muzzle Break
  • STNGR 5-Slot M-Lok Aluminum Picatinny Rail
  • 2 - TipTop Tactical Rifle Bipod Quicklock EZ Pivot & PAN 9" - 13" & 13.5" - 27" Picatinny Mount Quick Action, Extendable, Folding, with Sling-attached Hole
  • Wicked Lights W403iC & ScanPro iC Red Night Hunting Light and Headlamp Combo Pack for Predator, Varmint & Hog Hunting
  • Blend-in Ultimate Grip Anti-Slip Quick detach Rifle Gun Sling (Black)
8 Likes

A .22 rimfire and an Appleseed event.
https://appleseedinfo.org/
Then if you want to get serious about it, continue with a long range training school.
Just do a web search, there’s plenty to choose.

1 Like

Real nice rifle!
Where did you get the 10 rnd Magazine?

1 Like

Honestly? .22lr is the best. You can learn almost everything you need to know about long distance shooting with .22lr - and it is dirt cheap and a fantastic training firearm.

I put more .22lr down range than any other caliber.

Once you want to start pushing it further out, .308 is probably the best. We can start debating 6.5 Creedmoor is better… that is better… but .308 has cheap readily available ammo available. .308 rifles are also easy to sell if you decide you want to step up to something else.

You’d be hard pressed to find a “bad” centerfire bolt action rifle. Ruger American would be a great place to start. Tikka if you want to spend a little more. Savage also has great bolt action rifles.

Find good gun prices: https://gunwatcher.com/

Get a mid range Leupold, Sig, or Vortex scope with good rings and you’re in a real great spot. https://lockedback.com/product-category/optics/riflescopes/variable-magnification-optics/high-power-variable-magnified-optic/

Just be sure to get a MIL/MOA reticle since you’re specifically interested in long range shooting.

Hopefully this, and the other answers in here, get you moving in the right direction. I’m happy to answer additional questions if you have any!

4 Likes

FANTASTIC advice right here.

You’ll learn a ton about the fundamentals of marksmanship and you’ll be better through a weekend of training than weeks or maybe even months of shooting on your own.

http://www.snydermags.com/

They did an excellent job on mine & I’d highly recommend them. They have sales when they setup to make a bunch for the round you need.

2 Likes

Single Shot Henry .308

3 Likes

Good choice, and welcome to the forum! Don’t forget to tell us about yourself in the introductions thread. Stick around, you’ll like it here.

1 Like

Might i recommend any good mil-surp rifle? I know the favorite right now is the Swiss K-31 rifles for their accuracy, but many Mausers, Enfields, and similar rifles can be found for a fraction of similar rifles on the modern market.

2 Likes

Swapped out my rifle scope recently.

I got a heck of a deal on it. 57% off the original retail price and yes, it’s brand new and not refurbished.

Vortex Optics Viper PST Gen II Rifle Scope 30mm Tube 5-25x 50mm RZR Zero Stop Side Focus Illuminated EBR-4 MOA Reticle Matte
with a 3" Vortex Sunshade, free Vortex scope rings and the lifetime VIP warranty.

Features

• Extra-low dispersion (XD) glass increases resolution and color fidelity
  • Fully multi-coated optics
  • Second focal plane, glass-etched reticle
  • Aircraft-grade aluminum, single-piece constructed tube
  • Argon purged and o-ring sealed creates and water and fog proof scope
  • Shockproof
  • Tactical exposed turrets
  • RZR Zero stop prevents the turret from dialing below sight-in range
  • Fiber optic turret rotation indicator provides a highly visible point of reference for turret rotations
  • Fast focus eyepiece

I shot three full magazines of ‘Federal Gold Metal Seirra Matchking 168 grain’ ammunition starting with the middle target first, zeroing in the scope. Another 10 shots at the bottom target, further making fine tune adjustments and then I reset the turret for the new 100 yard zero stop. Then finally the third target at the top (Headshot). I tested the zero stop on the third target and it worked perfectly.

Below are the final results after shooting a total of 30 rounds with a momentary brake between the different targets to allow the barrel to cool down.

Below is my ‘BULLSEYE Camera System’ made by ‘SME’. It captured all my shots on all targets. The one below shows the third and final target. I pulled shots 7 & 9, so it’s not the ammo or the rifle’s fault. I own it!

Conclusion

It’s not as powerful as the 10-40x56 ‘SightMark’ rifle scope that I had on it prior, however the glass is definitely much better. The clarity is excellent at maximum magnification, much better than the ‘SightMark’ and there’s no loss of light either. It’s also a tiny bit shorter and a little bit lighter in weight too, which is real nice.

So far, I really seem to like it a lot that’s why I thought I’d share just in case anyone else might be interested in an American made optic.

At this point, I don’t think I can do anything more to this rifle to make it any better.

Sometime this week, weather permitting, I’ll set the rifle scope for a new zero (@200yrds) using the newly purchased 2019 ‘308 WIN Federal Varmint & Predator’ ammunition that’s loaded with 110 grain ‘Hornady V-MAX’ bullets :sunglasses:

9 Likes

Sweet rifle & scope!: looks like you have it dialed in!

7 Likes

The Ruger American can easily get you to 1000 yards for under $1000.

I like the Savage Accutrigger and the Mossberg MVP series as a mid line option. Slightly more cost for a decent amount of performance.

6 Likes

Beginning rifle… probably go with the Savage 110 tactical if you can, parts are getting easier to find ( for upgrade later) and it’s fairly simple to change out the barrel to something more accurate later as well.

Cartridge would probably be 6.5 Creedmoor because you said you wanted to go out to 1000, .308 would not be as forgiving at that range.

Scope would be the SWFA as 10x42 probably one of the best bang for your buck! $300 for rear parallax and $400 for the side ( side adjustment is way more handy )

Oh and you might also want a 20 moa one piece picattini scope rail…

5 Likes

Soooo…
The Reminton 700 is the high-performance beginner gun for long range shooting.
Caliber: .308 (.300 Win Mag for a tad over $1000)
.338 lapua for ringing the steel at 1k every time and out to 1 mile with a Remington Xtreme Conditions Rifle (XCR)

5 Likes

My Savage 10FP shoots sub MOA with federal match and handloads. So old it doesn’t have the acutrigger.

5 Likes