Which should I purchase?

I have been trying to purchase a Martini Henry model C from IMA (International military antiques), and have had issues. A glitch in the system, or an unknown card type. I have more then enough funds necessary, and I checked my information and it all lines up, except on their site.
Anyway, another site, Classic Firearms has an antique Swiss 7.5x55mm straight pull rifle for sale that also has my attention.
Assuming my card works there, should I pull the trigger on the swiss rifle? Or should I use my other card and purchase the Martini Henry?
I have always wanted a Henry most of all, however, any Surplis rifle I have always been fascinated by, and would likely end up purchasing the Swiss at a later time anyway.
So…
Should I invest in the Martini Henry? Or the Swiss Rifle?

11 Likes

I had a swiss straight pull years ago. was a beautiful well made rifle. wish i still had it. You should buy the one you really want and get the other later. How much are those swiss rifles now?

11 Likes

$579.99.

8 Likes

depends
as long as it shoots gp11 than yes
if it shoots the old gp90 sure - but just for shits and giggles
96/11 as long as it has been refitted with the short mag
G11 yes = when you want to reach out and touch someone
K11 yes
K31 you will fall in love

I have both the k11 and 31 and were shooting them yesterday - but my spotting scope camera didn’t record the hits. But with both rifles hitting the 8inch plate at 100m

12 Likes

this feller:

11 Likes

That’s the one i had, Don’t remember what i gave for it. been a long time ago. i remember it had a beautiful stock and was in excellent condition. Hows the ammo for that now? is it available and a decent price?

9 Likes

I haven’t been able to find any. I saw a video from military arms with Iraqveteran8888 as a guest from 2 years ago that said you cant find it anywhere, it is obsolete.
So I would have to learn how to load my own ammunition for it.
Same for the Martini Henry, but IV8888 has a video all about that.

8 Likes

I’d buy both or 5 or 10 buy buy buy buy, sorry I lost it there for a minute. Asking what to buy around this bunch of enablers can get you broke real fast.

9 Likes

Concur 100% One of the finest shooting rifles I’ve ever had the pleasure to handle.

9 Likes

Well, given that I an relatively poor, I can get either one, or the other. So.

7 Likes

Swiss gets my vote. G1911, k1911, but if you can find a k31 that would be the best to purchase in my humble opinion.

Be wary of models that are older that the G1911. The reason I bring this up is because the ammunition (GP11) 7.5x55 is a higher pressure than what most (long action) (rear lug) actions that where built pre G1911 rifle.
The correct ammunition for those older rifles is extremely hard to find.

The Martini Henry is a sweet rifle but also some times tough to find ammo for. It has been made or rather reproduce with old full brass shot gun shells necked down, but even those brass cases are getting harder to find. And if one was to attempt to reproduce it I would recommend using better brass than the normal standard 260 alloy brass.

(Don’t quote me)

At some point I want to look into possibly using annealed 464. This might not work at all being that it has only traces of lead in the alloy rather that a percentage like 260 alloy. Using the 464 would obviously be less flexible and therefore more susceptible to splitting the case, but far more corrosion resistance due to the use of black power in that particular cartridge due to the added Tim in that 464 alloy…sorry for the rabbit hole

-Switchpod

7 Likes

Ahh i see you need uncle @Belt-Fed 's credit card number. @LonewolfMcQuade needs to stop hoarding that thing i need some more 2011 mags

7 Likes

I need more 1911 mags and freedom pills to fill them

6 Likes

I have three, could always use more. Just spent an absurd amount of money to restock my .45 auto, and 7.62x54R. Cant find Long Colt anywhere.
I specifically purchased a revolver with that caliber, because I thought more people would be into .357, .38, .44,or 9mm. Clearly I was incorrect.

7 Likes

@switchpod
I am going for Non-FFL antiques atm. So, that is why I am looking at the Schmidt-Rubin 88, and the Martini Henry. Both weapons require ammunition that is very hard to find, mostly dur to the need to be hand loaded.
So while I am definitely considering your advice for the future, these two are my choice options.
Iraqveteran8888 has a video on cleaning and reloading the MH, maybe even the SR88. Will have to look.

7 Likes

Oh, now I see what you’re going for. Well in that case Happy hunting Brother!

Please let us know what you end up getting.

This is a pretty good site for this stuff in case you haven’t been there.
One is .460 Dia and the other one is .469 dia. For the MH.

This place is a good start to find GP90

7 Likes

Thank you! This helps immensely! Now I know, whichever I choose, I can get some ammunition. Expensive, but if I get reloadable stock, can invest in that.
*note: not a criminal evading the law, love history. Love black powder. And also, thoroughly enjoy the thought of being a part of an HOA that says “No FiReArMs AllOwEd” so I can be like… well actually, none of these are classified as firearms by the federal government, come after me and I will sue.

7 Likes

Those exist?

8 Likes

Yes, they do, where are Wayne and the boys on that? Or for that matter the ACLU.

9 Likes

Good to know there are neighborhoods that a guy can rob without fear of heavy metal poisoning.

9 Likes