Which was the better SERVICE pistol, the 1911 or the M9?

Putting aside caliber which pistol was a more rugged design? What issues were common with both platforms throughout thier years as a service weapon?

I’m only talking about the basic service weapon variants, not custom gucci guns.

10 Likes

1911, in 45acp, it’s like a 9mm for grownups. Let the shit storm begin :rofl:

12 Likes

You just reminded me , we have not had a caliber debate thread this year yet.

9 Likes

Ah, the year is young grasshopper, many feathers to be ruffled yet.

10 Likes

I didn’t use either in the military (didn’t serve)…but my experience would indicate that the 1911 is the better pistol.
I’ve seen a Beretta break completely in half and send pieces flying everywhere during a pistol training course, never seen a 1911 do that yet.

11 Likes

I have seen the slide come of a 1911 at a uspsa match. The slide stop broke and the slide went flying towards the target. I have seen several M9s in the gun shop w/cracked slides. The m9 grip is too fat for my taste.

10 Likes

Definitely with you on the grip. The safety sucks balls too…double action trigger sucks…imho of course.

10 Likes

Got both, like both. Still prefer the 1911 best

10 Likes

For me the 1911 all day long👍

10 Likes

can’t beat quantity over cranky old iron
there is a reason why JM Browning designed the GP35
If you put a brand new M1911 and a M9 on the table - why not go with something that is loaded, hot and you only need to pull the trigger with twice the pew pew
I have seen 1911s fail (barrel bushing self eject)
I have shot both Government and GI, and some of the military issue 1911 would have been better off been thrown than shot.
I have seen M9 with cracked locking blocks
At least with a M9 an average or inexperience shooter can hit what they are shooting at.
A prime example is a 16 yo girl first time shooting was able pick up my R9 (Turkish version of a M9) and hit the gong at 15m but trying her uncle’s 1911 pretty well only scared the target.
All the fairy dust in the world will never answer your question if a military pistol is not maintained on a regular service interval. Which includes part replacement.

9 Likes

Recycled WWII guns for Viet Nam? Or not really Gucci guns that SOCOM used, if they so chose?

The M9 does have a longer shelf life. Even on the original locking block. I don’t care for the trigger either.

6 Likes

Well heck, if you’re going to play that card, should’ve just bypassed the M9 and gone with The real deal…The Browning Hi Power :wink:

10 Likes

why I have four and no 1911s

9 Likes

Can’t blame you a bit!

8 Likes

It would be hard for me to place one above the other.

8 Likes

After spending 43 months in the desert with the M9 I have nothing but praise for it! Only issue was s$&@@y magazines! Never saw problems with basic maintenance

6 Likes

Having owned both, I can say both guns are amazing. Admittedly, I shot my 1911 more than the Baretta but I never had issues with either handgun. I sold the Baretta about a year ago just because it was one of the guns I shot the least and I put the money towards a new concealed carry. I still have the 1911 and it’s what I use for USPSA competitions. (Full Disclosure: My 1911 is chambered for 9mm.) As I said, both are amazing guns but I just like way the 1911 feels in my hand more than the M9/FS92. The carry gun I bought with the money from the Baretta is in a 1911 form as well. A little Kimber Micro 9. Mr. Browning was a master in his craft and no other semi auto handgun comes close.

6 Likes

I like my micro 9.

5 Likes

Mac 10 beats em both.

5 Likes

If your in a phone booth.

5 Likes