Which was the better SERVICE pistol, the 1911 or the M9?

Putting aside caliber which pistol was a more rugged design? What issues were common with both platforms throughout thier years as a service weapon?

I’m only talking about the basic service weapon variants, not custom gucci guns.

10 Likes

1911, in 45acp, it’s like a 9mm for grownups. Let the shit storm begin :rofl:

11 Likes

You just reminded me , we have not had a caliber debate thread this year yet.

8 Likes

Ah, the year is young grasshopper, many feathers to be ruffled yet.

10 Likes

I didn’t use either in the military (didn’t serve)…but my experience would indicate that the 1911 is the better pistol.
I’ve seen a Beretta break completely in half and send pieces flying everywhere during a pistol training course, never seen a 1911 do that yet.

10 Likes

I have seen the slide come of a 1911 at a uspsa match. The slide stop broke and the slide went flying towards the target. I have seen several M9s in the gun shop w/cracked slides. The m9 grip is too fat for my taste.

9 Likes

Definitely with you on the grip. The safety sucks balls too…double action trigger sucks…imho of course.

9 Likes

Got both, like both. Still prefer the 1911 best

9 Likes

For me the 1911 all day long👍

9 Likes

can’t beat quantity over cranky old iron
there is a reason why JM Browning designed the GP35
If you put a brand new M1911 and a M9 on the table - why not go with something that is loaded, hot and you only need to pull the trigger with twice the pew pew
I have seen 1911s fail (barrel bushing self eject)
I have shot both Government and GI, and some of the military issue 1911 would have been better off been thrown than shot.
I have seen M9 with cracked locking blocks
At least with a M9 an average or inexperience shooter can hit what they are shooting at.
A prime example is a 16 yo girl first time shooting was able pick up my R9 (Turkish version of a M9) and hit the gong at 15m but trying her uncle’s 1911 pretty well only scared the target.
All the fairy dust in the world will never answer your question if a military pistol is not maintained on a regular service interval. Which includes part replacement.

9 Likes

Recycled WWII guns for Viet Nam? Or not really Gucci guns that SOCOM used, if they so chose?

The M9 does have a longer shelf life. Even on the original locking block. I don’t care for the trigger either.

6 Likes

Well heck, if you’re going to play that card, should’ve just bypassed the M9 and gone with The real deal…The Browning Hi Power :wink:

10 Likes

why I have four and no 1911s

9 Likes

Can’t blame you a bit!

8 Likes

It would be hard for me to place one above the other.

7 Likes

After spending 43 months in the desert with the M9 I have nothing but praise for it! Only issue was s$&@@y magazines! Never saw problems with basic maintenance

3 Likes