Who has attended a genuine training facility.

I beleive it has the same name yes don’t quote me on that
It’s a term used by many training classes as well as martial arts instructors
The basis of the training that one attends should reflect what the person being trained wants or needs
Hence a system of training
While some. Courses base there training off of marksmanship others throw it out in a way and teach you to rely on there teachings
While some are excellent teachers of a method it’s just one method
Combining several methods would be prudent but not everyone takes training in the same way
Some think i punched a hole in a target at 400 yards I’m good to go
Others realize there’s a whole diffrent word of training out there to learn
They key to any of this is practice and muscle memory
I train mag changes and acusiton drills all the time

5 Likes

Paktika Province Afghanistan…

7 Likes

I have done three 4 day defensive handgun courses at Front Sight. Take your primary handgun and a spare and 700 rounds of factory ammo. Also holster and mag pouch and at least three double stack or 10 single stack mags.

4 Likes

I dont feel comfortable giving out specific names but I can recommend some instructors that I might have taken a class from ,know of ,or heard good things about from other people and you can checkout the AARs yourself.

Ive mostly taken basic carbine and pistol courses that go over basic gun handling, marksmanship, moving, barricade work etc.

Ive taken a CCW defensive pistol type class that was mainly going over legalities, dealing with cops, basic shot placement, retention techniques, identifyig threats etc.

Ive also taken a few CQC classes which involved shoothouses , some lowlight and force on force stuff.

One class I took was 1100 rounds in 2 days and I used my Colt 6920 which did not give me any issues at all.

7 Likes

The biggest name I have trained with was Tiger McKee, two day tactics class. That was mostly individual low level stuff, using cover and working with a team mate. We also have a local facility and I’ve done a couple of one day classes with them. I’ve also taken courses on CQB/building clearing, alone and in teams from a private instructor. If it’s kosher I could link some videos.

7 Likes

Yea, go for it. Ive posted sketchier stuff ( for example, check this thread out. https://forum.full30.com/t/shtf-sniping/685 )

3 Likes

From a two day course with Tiger McKee

Mississippi Combat Training Academy

5 Likes

Good stuff :+1:

3 Likes

akpete:

why not own a shotgun?

5 Likes

A good shotgun is needed tool

4 Likes

Flat range classes are pretty easy to find. Usually covers range safety, fundamentals of marksmanship, drawing from the holster, clearing malfunctions, etc. It’s the bread and butter of most firearm training schools. Usually marketed as beginner/ intermediate skill level.
Logistically, practical scenario based training is harder to find.

13 Likes

USMC 29 Palms, Law enforcement , and 3 lettered Govt. Agencies,
2 tours at Front Sight, and 3 tours at Thunder Ranch.

Emphasis =. Staying alive.
Firearms consisted from.= Edged blades, 4" revolver, 1911 in .45 acp, AR-15, 12ga shotgun, and a long range reach out and touch someone rifle, and approx. 1,000 rds. per caliber

13 Likes

Rifle and shotgun, muzzleloaders with the BSA.
Does that count.
And shooting time with old men on their land/ranges.
(I’m not fancy) :slightly_smiling_face:

10 Likes

Moyock and TIG outside of Memphis.

9 Likes

School of hard knocks. We learned to shoot holding the gun sideways one handed while holding our pants up with the other hand. We also learned to shoot up houses from a slow moving vehicle.

7 Likes

I watch John Wayne shoot your ancestors off horses, and a lot of Roy Rodgers, had some pretty good tricks down too.

6 Likes

I’ve only had a Stop the Bleed type class and a half-day Intro to Handguns class, both offered at my gun range. They were both awesome and very educational. Definitely want take more classes when time allows.

10 Likes

Does Ft Leonard Wood in 1975 count???
There is a carbine class or two in Indiana.

9 Likes

Pretty sure it does, I just didn’t want to list mine, so you were at Lost in the woods, huh?

9 Likes