Why a Sixgun

Sixguns are cool , definitely the best looking handguns ever created imo.

7 Likes

Good enough for the man with no name, good enough for me.

7 Likes

The psychopaths at Army ordnance killed many Americans with the shit attitude of “one shot, one kill”. Yes, psychopaths. They don’t care who they hurt as long as their buddy keeps their job and makes money.

That being said, if you are comfortable with a carburetor and points, then by all means, go for it.

5 Likes

When it is fully semi-automatic.

7 Likes

Tuco_25
When you have to shoot, shoot, don’t talk…

9 Likes

@MAK I think that rig looks like something a Mall Ninja would put together. I like the idea an optic for hunting or comp. I can even see a self defense red dot, I have have a laser on the P09 and I like it. Not big on lights on firearms, others are. If you can’t point a loaded firearm at something you’re not willing to destroy, how does a light change the rule?

A bump in the night investigation is more likely lead to my discovery of a loved one, neighbor or friend than a perp. I guess some are ok pointing a loaded weapon in a stressful situation at others without knowing who or what, I am not. I also am not in favor of being directly behind the light in that situation. A miscreant taking a shot, will aim right at it. Anyways I like the looks w/o all the crap hanging off it.

And I like the 8 rounds the most.

9 Likes
6 Likes

You need it to identify your target, no matter the context you need to be able to make sure what you are shooting needs shot. To be fair using a WML is nothing like searching a cave for treasure, you flick it off and on as you move and use it to blind a target. Strobe lights do the same thing but I would not feel comfortable using that setting, it’s too much for me.

8 Likes

No I get why folks like them. I have a different way. I keep the flashlight away from my body to the side in my support hand laying over the gun hand’s wrist with the gun pointed down and away from the search area. I may need to get a strobe mode light though.

Hypothetical: In your search with your WML you discover standing in the middle of your beam of light a police officer. He subsequently arrests you for pointing a loaded firearm at him when sees you beamed him with your WML.

Unlikely yes, but illuminating. No? :wink:

6 Likes

No matter the view, there’s always someone to tell you the prevailing wisdom is the best. We all need ten tons of gadgets now, and batteries, and holsters for phones, and switches, and gloves, lots of gloves. Yep, I’m completely convinced that unless I have multiple high capacity magazines, and the modern plastic fantastic to use them, against all those flying mosquitoes, that I won’t have a chance.
Just like trying to buy a new bolt action rifle with usable iron sights, the prevailing wisdom declares that one doesn’t need iron sights on a bolt gun. But I guess if you have a need for them you’re in the same league now as psychopaths in the army, or preferring points and carburetors, horror of horrors.
Personally, I find gadget magnets work better in photos than real life. We’re not in the infantry anymore, and a single slug through the middle has a long history of wrecking the bad guy’s day.

8 Likes

Second choice preference

Right after IDI Turbo Diesel :yum:

6 Likes

With a Sidewinder? Hard to beat in the Rockies ‘back in the day’. :yep:

4 Likes

In my opinion, it is a great round, and a little better than my .45 auto.

4 Likes

I know them quite well. I even worked for them, but that was after the split of combines and trucks.

4 Likes

You can always get a 1911 variant in 10mm.

6 Likes

Back in the late 19th century, the U.S. army switched from the .45 Colt to what they called the 45 Revolver. It was for all practicable purposes, a shorter round with a lighter bullet. What is interesting is that the 45ACP pretty much duplicates the ballistics of the short 45.
The live tests of the 45 caliber bullet at the Chicago Stockhausen were performed with the smaller round.
The Phillipine wars, however, were fought with the full size .45 Colt ammunition, and mostly model 1909 DA Colts, essentially the same gun remembered as the Colt New Service.
Personally, I believe that this type of flip flopping is largely responsible for the confusion regarding the 45 caliber today. Bottom line is that the .45 Colt has proven itself effective vs man and beast-tho sometimes these categories blend, whilst the shorter and lighter 45 auto is pretty much just for anti-personnel.
The .357magnum was really arrived at because the hotrodding of the 38 Special was eclipsing all safety levels. Heavier guns like the Sportsman and the Outdoorsman were being loaded to 1200+ fps in standard 38 brass. It was obvious that a high performance cartridge was needed, and the .357 was it.
The 357 is considered standard fare today, but in the right guns with the right men behind it accounted for every type of North American game. From here it became the darling of the police until the end of the revolver era. So, the 357 actually is closer in its historic contributions to the 45 Colt than the 45 ACP.

10 Likes

“fully equipped” would be ME behind the trigger.with a smile and a cold one.

8 Likes

Why a Sixgun has another, very useful reason. In any situation, there is the possibility of the dud cartridge. I have experienced duds in every type of factory loaded ammunition. This is not to say that ammunition is subject to a high percentage of failure, it is not, but the failures are part of the shooting experience, as are hang fires, and cartridges out of spec enough to prevent chambering, and primed cartridges with no powder.
In the case of the dud, autoloaders must have the slide racked to eject the problem round. Under stress, this is a pretty complex maneuver. In a high stress situation with a Sixgun, it’s a simple matter to bypass the dud by engaging fire control as if the dud had fired.
In this, the Sixgun is actually faster than the semi automatic.
Just saying.

10 Likes

uh-huh, just keep flinging all that common sense around

trouble maker

9 Likes

I’ve shot enough matches to the point now when i pull the trigger and no bang i rack the slide instinctively. That wasn’t always so, took many matches and malfunctions to make it that way. Your average shooter hasn’t developed that instinct, so i say point @MAK semiauto’s 0. I think a lot of times this happens now days i just out ran the trigger or didn’t let off enough to reset the trigger but i rack the slide and shoot on, I’m racing the timer so i got no extra time to troubleshoot the situation.

9 Likes