Why Is The Ammo Gone ?

13 Likes

My LGS is keeping ammo on the shelf, well mostly the floor because he doesnā€™t get a chance to put it on the shelf. Oddball brand 9mm was $129.99 for a 200 round box, still high but way better than I hear many talking about. He has a three box limit so that is helping, the black rifles are starting to remain on the shelf for a day or so after he gets them.

11 Likes

My local LGS had 9mm and .223 on the shelf. Itā€™s priced for the times. Itā€™s a 2 stop light reservation so he has stock.

10 Likes

Can we buy on the reservation?

8 Likes

Sure can itā€™s a little drive though.

8 Likes

I sit outside of Academy from 5AM to 9AM to get 3 boxes of ammo, this is common in this area.

8 Likes

LGS which is a have everything farm store, had no magazines for the AR platform :face_with_raised_eyebrow: magpul is their normal seller. Not reading anything into this yet as other stores do have them if someone needed some. Ammo is another story, very little to be had at most stores in the area in general. Sells out quickly even with limits of popular calibers.

11 Likes
11 Likes
7 Likes

Depressing. I can still find some ammo online but at sky-high prices. And Iā€™ve noticed prices and availabilty are worse than they were a few months ago, and they were bad then.

I keep hearing primers are in short supply not just for reloaders but for manufacturers as well. And until now, I didnā€™t know explosive-safe cardboard was a thing, much less that thereā€™s a shortage for that also.

And now theyā€™re saying the ammo shortage may last two years? Sheesh!

11 Likes

Oh, I can pretty much guarantee that the shortage is going to last at LEAST four yearsā€¦

10 Likes

With ammo hard to find, I went on a holster and gun belt buying spree last year. Iā€™ve been practicing more dry fire and holster drills with the new gear, and itā€™s helped me re-assess my holsters and gun belt combo.

I discovered that 1.75ā€ wide belts are great at holding up heavier fullsize 1911s, but good luck trying to find a decent, concealable holster thatā€™ll fit a thick and wide belt. So I went with a 1.5ā€ Mean Gene Leather belt. But even though itā€™s only 1.5ā€ wide and built like a tank, itā€™s about a 1/4ā€ thick. So I still have trouble fitting a holster. But itā€™s such a great belt I ordered another! I just need to find some big enough holster clips or file down the holster slots some more.

Iā€™ve also been dry fire practicing with my pump action. Rather than try to buy hard to find and expensive ammo, I splurged instead on snap caps, shell cards, a Hogue 12ā€ LOP, and weapon light and mount. I got decent enough with it at home until I took it to the range for the first time a few months ago. Big difference with recoil, even with 8 shot target loads! I also tried the squared-up combat stance with the shorter Hogue stock but just couldnā€™t figure it out. And I donā€™t mind a sling with an AR, but for whatever reason the sling just felt awkward and like it was in the way when shooting the shotgun. Not sure why, though. I may have to try a different sling I have laying around. But the biggest issue was the light. It worked perfectly fine, but I placed it wrong. Each pull of the trigger caused my thumb nail to slam painfully hard into the back of the light with the recoil.

Anyway, I just thought these were all some interesting observations for me as I temporarily forego range time and replace it with at-home dry fire and arguably unnecessary gear-buying.

10 Likes

I fear you may be right. :frowning:

9 Likes

What model shotgun are you running I have seen some interesting alternatives for the Mossberg and Remmys

10 Likes

Itā€™s Mossbergā€™s budget Maverick 88 in 12 ga.

11 Likes

I had one of those and liked it, gave it to my brother like a dumb ass, Iā€™m not sure if this will work on those or not, but it may solve your light problem.

Bright Integrated Shotgun Forend Light | StreamlightĀ®

11 Likes

Those are nice! I looked at those, but they donā€™t work with the Maverick 88 unless I replace the whole forend with one from a regular Mossberg 500. Iā€™m going to move the light mount clamp forward and rotate it a bit to see if that helps.

10 Likes

Cool good luck, I was afraid of that. Those are pretty good shotguns; they will take Mossberg barrels I know because mine had a 28 inch when I got it and I wanted something shorter.

11 Likes

I canā€™t even find much muzzle loading ammo and no black powder. and most of the guns are sold out everywhere.

12 Likes

Do you use real black powder? If so I might be able to help . I have several pounds and we are not that far from each other.

12 Likes