Why is the IWI Tavor not more popular?

So I picked up a SCAR heavy when they first came out. I was very excited…
Then I went to the range. 3" group at 100 yards with a Trijicon Acupoint 5-20x50 on Nightforce rings. This was many years ago, I believe it was on both Winchester and Black Hills ammo… different weights. Then it pissed me off I could not readily pick up mags…

2 Likes

Just thought I would point out that the SCAR is actually growing in popularity but like HKs offerings , its overpriced to most people.

Heres a list of various countries LE and military that use the platform. There are at least a half dozen more not listed on wiki.

Also, Team FNH USA uses the SCAR in 3 gun competitions.

4 Likes

I have a SAR Tavor with 18" barrel,Im also a M4 Fan.But my Tavor with a Trijicon Acog on shoots from contact range out of a vehicle right to hitting gongs at 300 & 600 yrds.I think its great.It ia alittle pricey but I purchased mine used and it has been great.An SBR without the ridiculous tax.

4 Likes

I personally LOVE the TAVOR and the X95
Did I say love? :thinking:
I am talking a sexual relationship type of love… love long time up and down back and forth!
Bwwwahahahhahaaaa
I have a thing for bullpups

3 Likes

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2016/05/13/x95-accuracy-vs-colt-rack-grade-6920-m4/

3 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: Bullpup Weapons, pros/cons what’s new

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2017/09/13/iwi-us-phasing-tavor-sar/

3 Likes

Pretty fucked up video game

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2017/03/21/mystery-scar-16-german-dusseldorf-ax-attack/
https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2017/06/23/potd-fnh-scarl-force-brussels-failed-attack/

3 Likes

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2018/10/11/bavarian-fn-scar/

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2018/03/05/kunduz-mk-17-scar-chronology-scar-among-taliban/

3 Likes

Ding ding ding! Winnar! CQB for the win. As awesome as the M4 carbine is, I’d much rather use a bullpup during CQB and even clearing the house money no object.

Ding ding ding! Another winnnnnnaaaaaarrrr! My $720 built AR would probably be on par with these others in here on their original intended use for a large portion of money less. This is why my most expensive firearm is my PS90, I’d just rather buy more things that go bang than buy expensive.

Now don’t get me wrong, would I love the Tavor, Bren or Scar? YES. I just won’t pay the premium for it. Trade for one maybe…

4 Likes

Yeah, i would much rather have my bullpups for CQ action than my short ARs… i get the whole price thing though. It is starting to amaze me how much some brands are charging now. FN HK are starting to be stupid in price. Not saying I will not fork over 2200 for a piston drive LWRC… hahhahaa but still. Prices are skyrocketing. I have a lot of weapons though so I think less about them and more about ammo. Though I have some belt feds still on my want list.

4 Likes

I would love to have a Tavor, picked one up and fondled it in the LGS a while back.

3 Likes

Not as accurate, cost, modularity, and not am I on the fly. For CQB 15 yards and in being able to switch shoulders on the fly is a big advantage. Most bullpup fail all of these. Also weight a bullpup in theory should weigh less than a standard lay out but in most cases weighs more. Also no adjustable stock soldiers range in size as do regular joes, bullpups one size fits most.

4 Likes

Not as accurate as what, An AR15? Most semi auto rifles are not that accurate either.

I hear the x95 has accuracy issues but the Israelis are running the x95s and are not complaining about the accuracy, I wonder if its a design flaw or a production issue with U.S. compliant versions?

As far as cost goes I am starting to see Tavors pop up around $1500, so they are going down in price but not anywhere near the AR or AK. A Scar, Bren 806 and most modern designed combat grade rifles are pretty close in price to the Tavor if not more(HK 416 ,Scar , Bren 806 etc).

Isnt the Tavor really modular? Its easy to tear down even easier than an AR and theres not much to working on them from the looks of it.

Care to elaborate? Im genuinely curious what you mean here, not trying to start an arguement or be obnoxious.

The rest of that makes alot of sense and I didnt consider some of the ergonomic issues you mentioned.

3 Likes

as far as accuracy, accurate enough to hit a 9 inch paper plate from 200 yards plus. A Precision rifle accuracy, no. Combat accuracy, yes. They are nice solid, well made rifles. How much would an AR with quality components &a piston setup run? As far as weight, all the weight is in the rear of the weapon. Which makes it possible to successfully use one-handed if necessary especially where the controls are configured.

5 Likes

I was shooting 2-2.5" groups at a 100 yards with Blackhills 77 gr and im not a particularly good shot.

A quality DI AR can be had for alot less but the Tavor at $1500 isnt really that bad for a non AR or AK fighting rifle. Also, PWS piston ARs can be had for about the same price if you look around.

I think Venom was talking about switching from shooting right handed to left on the fly and vice-versa. Also, he makes a legit point about stock length issues but every platform has its pros and cons.

2 Likes

Yes for me to be able to go left or right handed in a CQB scenario is a big deal. Also I am a big bullpup fan. I had my perfect rifle for a few years (a Kel Tec RFB) thing was perfect ergonomically was soft shooting and spent cases just rolled out the front. I loved that rifle so much even had the thing completely NP3 treated. Then she went tits up (receiver cracked with the feed rail on one side almost completely separating from the rifle) It took almost a year to get it back from the factory. Now can’t trust it. I also was one of thirst in on the waiting list for the DT MDR but got tired of their bullshit. So while waiting for this the AR308 platforms technology caught up with its little sons (AR15) so I decided to build the custom one I posted about and am trying not to look back.

5 Likes

https://www.alloutdoor.com/2019/03/01/iwi-tavor-7-status-update/

Still waiting on this since I handled one at GAOS

4 Likes

I have a TAVOR, 2 X95s and the DESERT Tech MDR…
The MDR is rad. 100% love it.
But I love the IWI too…
Now I can shoot it both right handed and left no problem. So can my lefty friend.

3 Likes

I’m not a fan of any bull pups and I’m biased because of history. Back when I was a young shaver, There was this place where terrorism was rampant and on the news constantly. That place was Ireland, and they were killing British solders because of their newly adopted bullpups. There was an interview that has stuck with me from that time and has biased me all these years (may have been in SOF). The interview was with an IRA guy that talked about how they would set up ambushes on certain sides of the street because the Brits could not get cover in door ways with their bull pups on the left side of the street. When they were using the SLR (FAL) they did not have that issue but the right hand only nature of the bull pups put their troops in harms way because the gun could not be shouldered from the left side. This stuck with me ever since and biased me against them and I think its a semi legitimate arguement even today. I’m now old, and can’t even walk due to a drunk driver so having to use a gun in any thing like combat is not a likely issue so it really does not matter to me now I guess but my bias is still there.

4 Likes