Why YOU should shoot Steel Challenge (plus some match footage)

Shot some steel challenge this week! It was pretty fun so I decided to take @srdiver’s advice and add some commentary to the video to make it longer. For this video, I talk about why YOU should shoot some steel challenge!

Doesn’t matter if you’re a conceal carrier, you shoot other competition formats, or you’ve never shot a competition before. Competitions are a fantastic way to become better shooters and I talk about some of it in this video. I’m definitely going to talk about it more in the future.

Follow on FB: https://www.facebook.com/lockedback/

Follow on Twitter: https://twitter.com/lockedbackguns

Follow on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/lockedback/

Upcoming classes: https://lockedback.com/class/class-list/

(the current class list is sparse, but I’ve got plans for classes in Austin this fall - just haven’t announced them yet)

5 Likes

For sure, Steel Challenge will really speed up your shooting skills.
My favorite version was the rimfire division.
Allows you to go even faster.
And that has effect on all the other shooting, too.
Must speed up the brain or something.
Never missed one when they were available.
Alas, no local ones anymore.
Blame it on the popularity of USPSA and IDPA.

5 Likes

Pre-teens with .22lr can go really fast.

That’ll really mess with you when a 12 year old has a faster time than you. But he also doesn’t have the same amount of recoil nor does he have to draw from a holster.

But still.

3 Likes

The range I belong to got rid of their rimfire steel matches. Heard a rumor it was because of ricochets.

1 Like

That’d be a dumb reason. Sure, people will get hit by tiny frags from time to time - but that’s just what happens when you shoot steel and why you wear eye pro.

If they’re talking about actual ricochets - then it means they’re shooting at the wrong distance or angle, at improper steel, or poorly maintained steel. All preventable issues.

3 Likes

If they’re sanctioned matches they can’t do that, the rules are the rules. If it’s unsanctioned they can do anything. But if unsanctioned it’s also not Steel Challenge since it falls under USPSA and that’s a trademark or some such.

But back to the OP. I absolutely love SC. I can no longer move as I once did, but I still shoot action pistol. SC requires no movement, or not much. It’s a lot of fun.

BTW, I shoot in rimfire rifle open division. I don’t need belt gear, just a rifle and a way to case it. I like having no weight on my belt, or said another way, I dislike very much having a handgun pulling my pants down. :smiley:

3 Likes

Sounds like you need a better gun belt setup then!

I do agree - Steel Challenge is an underrated shooting competition format. Will I shoot it as often as USPSA? Nope. Still plan on shooting it more though.

1 Like

My belt setup is just fine. I dislike having anything in my pockets as well. Maybe I need better pants? Or maybe I need more ass as a foundation?

1 Like

Indeed. It speeds up many bodily functions…ocular focus, mental focus, various muscle movements, and overall coordination. Our bodies and brains get faster with repetition and conditioning. Fun stuff!

1 Like

Ricochet is the rumor I heard, but maybe they meant frag pieces? And that’s all rumor. They used to offer rimfire steel challenge, but I don’t know if it was sanctioned or not. We members got an email one day saying they were no longer going to offer it.

1 Like

If frag was the reason - whoever canceled it must have never shot at steel.

That is an incredibly dumb reason. Steel challenge and other steel matches happen every day all across the US.

2 Likes

I was hit in the hand, round came down from one of the other bays, I was holding the scorepad and BAM!, quite a welt and big turn off for hanging around all those .22 users

I run what I carry, don’t get the .22 fascination, get its cheaper but seriously, that’s a lame reason if it is the reason, IMO its better to sling some lead.

With .22 there’s much more of a necessity to make certain targets are parallel to the shooter.

2 Likes

I compete with full caliber - but I love to train with .22lr.

When you shoot tens of thousands of rounds a year - the opportunity to save some cash for training is pretty awesome.

Just like dry fire, .22lr is an excellent training tool.

3 Likes

The easiest way to keep yer pants up is by using suspenders.
They also make you look cool, even slightly eccentric.

3 Likes

The worst I’ve been damaged from a ricochet wasn’t from a rimfire but from a jacketed hollow point 9mm.
Almost lost an eye, saved by a really good pair of protective glasses.
The piece of jacket bounced off them and lodged in the side of my nose.
Close call and not from a rimfire.

2 Likes

This is why I always cringe when people are wearing walmart sunglasses or their corrective glasses. Those won’t stop a speeding frag.

2 Likes

I did a lot of steel shooting back in the early 2000’s and decided to jump back in recently. Yesterday evening, I attended my first Steel Challenge match after a 10-year hiatus. My initial speeds were not very impressive, but I warmed up after the first stage and quickly felt comfortable again. I didn’t miss many targets, so I’m happy with my performance overall. It was good to ping some steel again. I love that sound.

3 Likes