WILL I MAKE MY GUN JAM DURING A GUNFIGHT?

12 Likes

Good read I like it

7 Likes

A lot of public ranges would not let me train in shooting from retention, so I used a SIRT laser pistol instead at home. I was surprised to see how effective I could be without looking through the sights, or without a perfect sight picture, when at close range.

9 Likes

Good article!

5 Likes

Yes sir that’s a good one to pin for future reference :+1:

4 Likes

I’ve read and I’ve also seen where a 9mm will jam or not cycle the round correctly just cause of the grip of the operator. Even an instructor down here advises women to not shoot 9mm because their wrist absorbs so much recoil that the slide does not function correctly. That’s something else to think about in self defense

4 Likes

not much of a instructor, let me guess he suggests revolvers and pink .380s

3 Likes

No he suggests anything other than a 9mm or a .380.

There have been recorded instances of this happening. Most recent scenario was a police officer who got shot in the hand and wasn’t able to stabilize his gun properly. Here is a video about it

5 Likes

Again not much of a instructor. My daughter shoots everything from a 84 year old FN GP35 to my M17 (and a whole bunch in between, no issues).
And I think when you look a little deeper, the issue isn’t the shooter but the gun. When you change out fire components, slides or springs ie: gucci glocks mechanically you are on the knife edge of functionality.

5 Likes

Definitely more of a polymer issue. That’s not just glocks but yes. Either way it’s only common sense that it’s more likely to happen to a woman. I’m actually willing to bet it’s happened a lot to people and they chalked it up to a whole different issue or simply wrote it off as a fluke.

I would argue that an instructor that didn’t give this warning isn’t as educated as one that does. It’s most definitely a real thing

5 Likes

I have a Diamondback DB9 that will jam if not held firmly. So small that you have to give it a real solid platform to recoil against.
So the really small 9mm’s do require a firm grip for them to operate properly. I wouldn’t tell people not to use the small guns. I would train them HOW to grip them properly so they will function.

6 Likes

Legit. Asking people to train is a difficult endeavor. Expecting them to train is intellectually dishonest. They don’t have the commitment that most of us do. Shooting is a perishable skill.

Bullseye shooters barely hold the pistol so as to prevent torque. I started on bullseye .45 ACP and .22. He’s right. The pistol should operate holding it in any way you can get a hand on it. It is the pistol. The colt gold cup was a bullseye designed pistol. Mine operated flawlessly.

5 Likes

Good for him. Revolvers are the way to go, no jams and even girls can use them.
The Mrs can not draw back any slide, her hands are too small.
She can use the wheel gun real easy.

2 Likes

Have you tried to teach her to rack the gun and not the slide by holding the slide and pushing the gun with her other hand, that’s the trick for my girls and something I’ve had to do myself with sweaty hands or other instances as needed

I would not sign on to that as 100% the way to go, I’ve seen a lady fire a revolver improperly, the burn from the cylinder caused her to drop the gun.

3 Likes

She has tried everything, she had an SKS she cocked with her size 3 boot.

A 357 mag is like to her, like a 44 mag in your hands.
Way more than she wants, just what she needs…

She has a size 3 AR also, 0

3 Likes