Will other gun makers follow suit with Colt?

10 Likes

I would think the opposite.
If I was in a business with a lot of competition, I would appreciate when competition shrinks.

9 Likes

This article makes sense to me with the saturation of the market right now
Who wants to buy a exspensive colt
When there are very budget minded and quality rifles for way less

9 Likes

Colts are/were fairly cheap, They are the bare minimum for a combat grade AR. “Combat grade” meaning they have higher QC standards and are more worried about reliability than anything.

7 Likes

Nah, not unless they are banned, then all of them will stop.

5 Likes

I think it is a case of S&W and Ruger selling a better gun for a lot less . Colt has been eclipsed by them for years.

7 Likes

^This

And ^This

Colt’s decision is purely economic. The exclusive government contact allows Colt to sell the same rifles at a higher profit margin…and have no other competition. They will re-enter the civilian market when their contact expires or when the market is favorable.

8 Likes

Ah, yes… shrinkage. Colt claims to have been in the pool. But alas, America knows better.
:woozy_face:

7 Likes

If purely economic but still producing rifles, why quit selling on the retail/civilian market? Unless they can’t keep up with demand, gov. contract being 1st priority. but I don’t believe that to be the case, they lose civilian revenue while pissing off the civilian market. I still think they’re being pressured by government whom may be using future contracts as leverage.

6 Likes

https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-16-mid-length-5-56-nato-1-7-nitride-freedom-rifle-olive-drab-green-5165450007.html

That could certainly be a factor. It’s a big contact for sure.

5 Likes

Like Knight’s Armament, you can’t sell the same product to the public for less than what you sell it to the government. If you sell a rifle to the government for $2000, the public must also pay $2000 whether it is worth that or not.

5 Likes

Not even close at least going off the base models of similar price. Colt builds duty guns with a much higher QC standards (function not aesthetics) that are built to take abuse. Ruger builds ARs for recreational shooters on a tight budget. Alot of the parts on the 6920 are the same parts on the m4 meaning they are made to handle the abuse of full auto. The M&P base model isnt even close either but their mid range stuff is nice and running a Midlength gas system. I bought my last Colt 6920 for 600ish with no furniture.

3 Likes

Depends on the series, the SR series of Rugers are exceptional quality. But they are not 500 bucks. they are priced like colts.

5 Likes

Go rapid fire on some of these 500 dollar AR15’s for a bit and you will see the difference, I know there are jewels out there but, overall COLT makes a product that can take quite a beating.
There is a part of me that thinks they are worried that they will be the weapon of choice in the next civil war.

4 Likes

Colt’s decision is Colt bing Colt.

Not the first time they have told the civilian market that they are too busy with government contracts to worry about civilian sales of guns.

8 Likes

Those are piston guns right? Im a few years behind on this chit. Aero Precision and SOLGW are my goto rifles but I have a badass burnt bronze FN too. Just got rid of my Colt , it had 6k+ rounds with no issues most of that in carbine courses.

4 Likes

Wernt their guns around in the last civil war and both world wars…and the korean and vietnam war…and the war on terror…they were built for that. My Colt 6920 was crude compared to my FN or SOLGW but it wouldnt quit on me. Put over 1k rounds in a 3 day carbine course and it never skipped a beat even in the rain and mud. It was a workhorse/pony.

3 Likes

Yes, When we used to have the shoots, some guys would never learn not to lay a hot machine gun on a tarp you was laying on without it on a bipod.

5 Likes

Probably too subjective, but what are other ARs that are of equal to better quality and also less expensive than a Colt 6920?

5 Likes

BCM dethroned Colt as the standard for civie fighting carbines. They cost a bit more now though. Then there is Spikes which is pretty close but has way more options, Colt OEM rifle are still cheaper though. I would say for a defensive rifle its colt if you want something cheap. There are good cheaper ones but they dont go through as thorough of QC testing , Colt has to have very strict QC to meet government contracts. I like Aero Precision now but they dont have as high of QC standards, imo.

Think about it this way, one company builds their rifles for professional use(war, LE , etc) and one builds them for recreational use (competition and hunting) who is going to have stricter QC? Who would get in more shit for faulty products? Who stands to lose more?

The Colt (69xx series) might not have the best barrel or trigger but its built to be abused.

3 Likes